Computer bypass 2100 changeout

Ok. Timed to 850 rpm -9 idle. I turned the mix screws in to see what they were set at. Right one was 13 1/4. Left was 9 1/4. What's a good start. How much should I bring them out to start?

absolutemoon said:
Ok. Timed to 850 rpm -9 idle. I turned the mix screws in to see what they were set at. Right one was 13 1/4. Left was 9 1/4. What's a good start. How much should I bring them out to start?

What's up dude? Been reading all the post and trying to get caught up on your situation. When you say 13 1/4. Is that how many turns your making?

Alright the verdict is in. I counted the 1/4 turns it's was set at when i got it and screwed them in. Pass side was out 9 1-4 (quarter) turns and drive side was out 13 1/4 (quarter)turns. I started out at 2.5 full turns on each and hooked my vac gauge up and was at 17.5. Backed her out another 1/2 turn and vac went to 19. Backed out another 1/2 turn and vac stayed at 19. Turned her back in 1/2 and left her. She is out 3 full turns total if my math is correct. SHE GOT POP!! This jeep has never driven this good. Now keep in mind I'm only testing on a 1/4 mile driveway in case anything stupid happens. Besides it's dark and rainy here. The only issue is she will hesitate ever so slightly upon throttle. Than she catches up. This is minor compared to what it was doing before. The main problem was the nutter bypass. Once I did that it ran like crap until I timed it to -8,-9 ish and 850rpm at idle. That's when she woke up. If you guys can give me a start point for the initial hesitation, that would be great. I have not only had fun doing this but I have learned a lot about installing carbs, timing, use of vacuum gauge, and bypass wiring. Now on to the distributor swap. Bryan

the initial hesitation can be from a few things. might have to move the time up or down a hair, maybe your accelerator pump is pumping a little to much or to little, could be the engine isn;t warmed all the way up.

which advance plate is in your distributor?

Still not sure. Haven't got that far. I thought if I felt comfortable with the carb settings, manipulating the dist would be a breeze. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Hey 808, I may have found my brand new oil leak. Looking under the beast, I see oil as far up as the distributor. I may not have tightened the bracket up enough. Hope that's it.

absolutemoon said:
Hey 808, I may have found my brand new oil leak. Looking under the beast, I see oil as far up as the distributor. I may not have tightened the bracket up enough. Hope that's it.

Cool. There should be a gasket in there also. Have to pull the distributor to change it. So let's hope tightening it down works.

i was just going over everything we have all done with the jeep old timers and one of htem commented that the initial little hesitation might be the jets being one size to large.

also, they asked if anyone has checked the timing chain for slack? i know i have not.

after jeep is warmed up, turn it off and pull key out.
put a socket on the harmonic balance/crank nut
turn engine clockwise and align timing mark to zero
pull distributor cap
watch distributor rotor and turn engine counter clock wise till rotor starts moving
stop turning immediately
look at how far backwards from zero timing mark has moved
if its more then 7 degrees, timing chain has to much slack and needs replacement

Sorry pressed wrong button. Size 47 jets. Does that sound about right?

I have heard 47 is the optimal jet with a 1.08 Venturi carb. Mine has #48 jets. I have no idea why. That could very well be the last and final issue with the carb. I'm just happy as crap that a non mechanic could (with yalls help of course) get this swap done and I feel as though it's done right. I can't get over how she woke up. I just figured I'd be driving a turd till she dies. Now she's got pep. I told 808, the carb upgrade next. Will work on it tomorrow. I just wanted to stand in the garage and crack a chilly one open and just look her over with a stupid grin on my face.

Tell you what. LISTEN to the elderly. They really know their stuff. It's funny you say "one" size too big and mines a 48 when everyone else recommends a 47.

Can't remember. It was almost two years ago. I know I told him daily driver but do not remember anything about elevation. Hopefully knowing where he was shipping it, he could have put two and two together. But then again I thought it would be somewhat set up.

Two years ago? I hope that's not how long it takes to get here! Lol

Ha ha ha. I got it and had no backup vehicle at the time. The jeep was my work vehicle. I had no down time and was scared crapless to fix something that wasn't broken. But when I changed jobs and could drop wifey at work and drop kids at school with her car, this gave me a great opportunity to get my hands dirty and learn a bit about my jeep. I'm glad I did. This was fun.

Dude you gottah love jeepz.com. I haven't even got my carb. Yet and I've already got a ton of info on how to get my jeep purrin. Thanks guys.

Sweet work. I am glad everything is doing good and we have this long documenting thread for future people. It got cold today so I have to wait to see if it's going to rain or not to work on the ol jeep again

Back