NJ inspection, Failed again!

Yeah I thought of that John, but they check your tires psi too, gotta at least be 30. I found a guy that will let me borrow a set of 35s.

Sparky-Watts said:
Ah, true, Nick, but another greenhouse gas is methane.....and you know where that comes from, right? So, what's next, catalytic converters in our shorts?

And don't forget CCs for the Cows also. :D

south442 said:
Sparky-Watts said:
Ah, true, Nick, but another greenhouse gas is methane.....and you know where that comes from, right? So, what's next, catalytic converters in our shorts?

I'll let you do the install on that one! :shock:

Joopin, are your shackles stock or extended ones?

XJNick said:
don't ignore all the other bad aspects of having gobs of emissions comming from millions of tailpipes in our country alone.

My point to make here is that even if you don't give a shit about our environment regarding things like green house gasses and global warming (sadly the way many people think), there are still other ways in which reducing or eliminating emissions from cars helps us all. Period.

-Nick :!:

Nick,

Don't get me wrong, my point is that I feel quite disturbed that my XJ failed emissions because of a "faulty" gas cap. I had already replaced the cap, but my check engine light had not yet gone out when I was failed for a check engine code. The cap was clearly new, but until the code was cleared I could not pass. This cost me time off work and the fee for a second test.

I respect your passion for cleaner air, and I do enjoy a nice lungful myself, but I think it's ridiculous to make automobile owners go through the emmissions testing procedures. We already pay alot more for cars so they may be compliant. A poorly running engine today is still greatly improved over the old cars. Vehicle emissions are such a minute impact compared to other sources of man made pollution, but the government takes it to us because we're easy to tax and regulate.

Yeah, it's a touchy subject with me, but rest assured that when I pass over the Key Bridge (going over the baltimore harbor) saving the world with my shiny new gas cap and my unlit check engine light, the SCM and Grace Davidson plants pour carcinogens into the air and the water.

That said, if you want to save the environment, get the EU and the rest of the world to forget trying to cripple the USA with the Kyoto treaty and instead hold China responsible for the stuff they are putting in the air. Many products that can no longer be made here in the US because of the EPA are now being made in China, but now they're being made with no regard to environmental impact. A good example would be very high quality steel. Guess where many parts for NASCAR are made, yup China! Can't make it here anymore.

What is global warming? I think I heard of that theory once :?

RE: Paragon April 16th and 17th

Stock Shackles

BTW, I passed emissions :D

RE: Re: RE: Comp cutting the Jeep

Global warming is a joke. Come on, people, haven't you heard? We're still in an ice age, just coming out the tail end of it.....that's why it's getting warmer! Eco terrorists are just using that as a scare tactic...global warming is a natural function of the earth's lifespan.

I wonder if a homemade set of 3" shackles would have the springs hitting? You'd lose your 1/2". If they don't road test it you might be able to get away with it. I doubt you being 1/2" off from your papers would be obvious...

Know anybody running swamper LTB's? They come in a 34".

CJ EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

Hi,

Sparky-Watts said:

First of all, Catalytic converters do not do anything about methane gas. Attaching one to yourself would do no good. But the real point to make here is that the volume of gasses you emit is insignifcant compared to the volume of exhaust pouring out of an internal combustion engine every minute it is in operation. If you are producing anywhere near the volume of "exhaust" that your car is, I'd suggest you get medical help :p :wink:

South442 said:
And don't forget CCs for the Cows also. Very Happy :D

Once again, doing so is not going to help in any way...

Got to go for now, but rest assured I'm not done with this thread just yet
:wink:

-Nick :!:

I get kind of touchy about the emissions debate myself, but I take a middle of the road stance on the subject and I only get offended when either side takes it too far.

For anyone who is interested, a good example of some of the stupid stuff that goes down with our vehicle testing is an article that Hotrod magazine did in the 90s. It was called the Crusher Camaro buildup. Large corporate polluters can get away with their environmental abuse by participating in special programs. One program was where they bought old cars from people and destroyed them in order to offset their massive pollution. Hotrod stood out in front of one of these places and waited until a car that they wanted showed up and then they bought it instead of letting them crush it. They ended up getting a six cylinder 67 Camaro. The guy was DRIVING it to be CRUSHED......A 67 CAMARO.....CRUSHED!!! :shock:

Anyway, Hotrod bought it for like $50 or $80(whatever the crusher was offering). Then they proceeded to turn it into a clean running hotrod. They ended up making that 67 model car run faster than a brand new one......and it also put out less emissions than a new one when they had it smogged at a government testing station. Not to mention the reduced emissions by not having to manufacture another car to replace that one, they made it run cleaner and better than the one that would have replaced it. Kind of makes you wonder what the REAL reason is, that requires all that crap under new hoods. I don't want to hurt the planet (I'm only human, I doubt I really could), but I also don't want to pay for stupid stuff just to make paranoid people feel better.

Junkpile, I hear ya....have you ever read reports on how much pollution a catalytic converter plant puts out? If I remember correctly, it's nearly 7 times as much as if all the CC's they made were never installed! The earth is billions of years old, our existence is merely a blink of an eye, and despite the tree huggers dire warnings of global destruction, we cannot destroy this rock in space. The ecology of our planet ebbs and flows in such a way that we cannot even begin to understand it. All these theories about how badly we're damaging the planet are just that...theories. This big rock will continue to warm up and freeze down and warm up again, long after we're gone.....to the point that future generations won't even know what we've done to her.

RE: 1st time with new lift!

south442 said:
Sparky-Watts said:

Actually, there is something done about that. Many cattle farms around the world actually have a collection system built into their fencing. It collects the emissions from their dung, and converts it to a usable form of energy

Sparky-Watts wrote:

Sparky, if you are going to be successful guano-ologist, you are going to have to learn to stay current with the research literature. It was long ago determined that centralized, feces-generated methane gas recovery systems could never be economically viable on a commercial scale.

In particular, you might want to familiarize yourself with the research of the “Alabama Rectal Resource Society of Engineers,” which organization is more familiarly known by the acronym, “ARRSE.” The ARRSE is head-quartered in Hole, Alabama.

The ARRSE papers can be obtained by e-mailed request to ARRSE-Holes@P-U.com.

Recent ARRSE papers include the scholarly work of Professor, I. VonTugo. I. VonTugo, it should be noted, is also the founder and CEO of Johns and Morejohns Plumbing and Supply, Inc.: the business slogan of which corporation is “We can’t sit on our butts to stay number one in the number two business.”

Anyway…while it is generally agreed that commercial-scale, feces-based methane gas recovery systems are impracticable, individualized and/or purpose-built feces-based methane gas recovery systems do hold promise.

Perhaps one example of the professor’s work will serve to illustrate that promise.

Here is pirate-photo of the field testing of a prototype “Extremity Ecological Evacuation-Extraction Wideband Wadulator (EEEEWW) unit connecting a typical Alabama methane gas generating unit and a common backyard accessory.

image-missing.png

It has been estimated by Prof. I. VonTugo that consumption of six coal miner-bar pickled eggs and a like number of Coronas will fuel the grill through the cooking of a very large road-kill deer.

Double-Blind taste tests of road-kill venison prepared on the methane gas fueled grill have been conducted. Although the test results are preliminary, Professor I. VonTugo reports that the most common response of Alabamahamians has been that the venison “tastes like chicken.”

Regards,

Just trying to be helpful, Gadget

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are wasting your time doing whatever else it is you do Gadget! You need to be writing a column or something.

You "Crack" me up!

--mingez

Inspector-Gadget said:
image-missing.png

Just trying to be helpful, Gadget

Although it'll take some time to get that image out of my mind.

I wonder at what point I lost control.......guessing maybe it was right around the time the warmth spread to my toes and my socks got squishy, or perhaps it was after seeing the photo Gadget posted.

Enroute to the nasal burn unit for another coffee related accident,

Sparky

Real simple, I pay excise Tax on all my vehicles, which means no matter what comes out of the tail pipe, I should be allowed to drive it!

RE: Take A Wild Guess...

Sparky-Watts said:
have you ever read reports on how much pollution a catalytic converter plant puts out? If I remember correctly, it's nearly 7 times as much as if all the CC's they made were never installed!

That is beautiful. I think we should put all environmentalist whackos and the politicians that pacify them on one-way space shuttle flights.

I'm not going to dispute pollution problems in many bodies of water. The harbor here in Baltimore is disgusting. I'd never dispute smog problems in major cities. I could hardly breathe while working in DC on hazy hot and humid days.

Stupid laws are what ire me.

Nick, I'm not knocking you. Not everyone who is environmentally concious is an "environmentalist whacko". I agree that air quality in many cities is the pits. I also very much respect what you've done with your XJ, but I just can't swallow the emmissions thing being fair or even having any worthwhile impact. I just feel these issues are being ignored and things like emissions testing are brought upon us to hush the environmentalists instead of real solutions.

Global warming... well Sparky seems to be doing pretty well conveying my feelings there.

Back