Need TJ Front Bumper Recommendation

mikeandmo

Hi
My Wife and I just got into Jeeping and had a great time in Moab, Utah at Easter Jeep Safari recently. Thanks to the Red Rock 4 Wheelers! We realize we need to beef up our 2005 TJ and we'll do that little by little. For now, we had some issues with the rear frame mounted U-haul hitch receiver hitting some boulders and ordered a new rear bumper with integral receiver and pivoting tire carrier to replace the stock bumper. In the front, we'd like to replace our stock bumper with one that has these features:
  • Winch mount provisions.
  • A pair of tabs on each end that will accept a standard tow bar from our RV.
  • Provisions for lights?
  • Left and right shackle mounts (I don't think the tow bar tabs will accept a shackle directly, but this is up for discussion).
See the attached picture. The issue is finding a front bumper with the tow tabs built in. Any recommendations you have will be appreciated.
Tanks,
Mike and Mo Sposato
Albuquerque, NM

Attachments

• 05 TJ tow tabs.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 271

I've seen homemade bumpers and modified stock or aftermarket bumpers with that list of extras including flat towing capability. Just not a aftermarket one with all that. Smittybilt makes a nice starter with most of it

image-1580728449.jpg

Last edited:
I like that setup! It doesn't drop down from the RV and attach low on the Jeep. Nothing to remove when arriving at the campsite: just detach everything and hit the trail. I have the newest Smittybuilt catalog. I can see that bumper in there, but it doesn't have the lower 2 light holes or the tow tabs. I could not find tow tabs in the catalog.
I did find a front bumper in the RockHard 4x4 catalog with provisions for a winch, lights, and an option for the tow tabs. I noticed their bumpers are made of 1/4" (vs. Smittybuilt's 3/16") thick flat steel and 3/16" (vs. Smittybuilt's 1/8") thick tubing so I will call both manufacturers Monday and make a choice.
Thank you,
Mike

I like the RockHard products and have had great luck with them. The aluminum front bumpers are great.
However, you might need to stick with steel and have your tow hitch mounts welded on.

Back