Leaking power steering fluid though cap?

socal_dave

I noticed after wheeling the other day that I had fluid dripping on my front diff. Further inspection revealed that it was power steering fluid. I looked all over for a leak but the only place that looked like it was really covered in it was the cap. Also, the fluid is spraying back into my engine compartment, further making me think that the fluid is coming out of the cap! I also noticed that the cap has a small hole in it, guessing it's to release pressure so I'm thinking that it's coming from there.

Any ideas what would make my power steering reservoir leak through the pressure relief in the cap?

Not really sure, but could it be overfilled? I put a little too much in mine and it blew out of the cap.

Not really sure, but could it be overfilled? I put a little too much in mine and it blew out of the cap.

No, it actually ran almost dry, then I had to watch it and fill it about once every other day since then. So unless filling it to the appropriate spot on the dip stick is overfull, it's not that. It also blows out when it's at the very bottom of the stick (when I fill it)..

your pump might be going bad. have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch it. it might be a cracked line.

I had the same problem, mine was coming out of my steering sector though, but when i wrecked it cracked it so my problem was fixed and that part cost $800 so im glad insurance is paying for it lol

Theoretically speaking, if the pressure builds up in the reservoir of the powersteering pump, the cause would be a restriction in the hydraulic system.
The power steering pump is a constant flow rate and displacement, vane-type pump. The pump internal parts operate submerged in fluid. The flow control orifice is part of the high pressure line fitting. The pressure relief valve inside the flow control valve limits the pump pressure. If a restriction occurs, the fluid will accumulate in the reservoir until it overflows.

Fluid can boil when it gets too hot. Thicker oil tends to cut down the heat. (I run 30 Wt oil in mine usually)

your pump might be going bad. have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch it. it might be a cracked line.

So, I was on the trail last weekend, I'd stopped to check on something and when I got back in I turned the wheel to move back onto the trail and smoke POURED out from under my hood!

I stopped it, got out, raised the hood and saw that the smoke was coming from right around where my valve cover meets the head. CRAP. That's when I noticed that there was a decent sized rock in front of my right front tire. This got me thinking! I had moved the wheel back and forth trying to solve this issue but I'd never really put any pressure into it. Now, with the wheel against a rock, turning the wheel built up pressure in the system. so I fire up my jeep again, turn the wheel and immediately smokes. aha! get back to my shop, turn the wheel all the way and then give it a little extra and bam, smoke!

looks like it was spraying out from between the pump and reservoir but only when the pressure built up. New pump and high pressure line, 60 bucks and an hour later, no smoke!

Thanks for the advice guys.

So, I was on the trail last weekend, I'd stopped to check on something and when I got back in I turned the wheel to move back onto the trail and smoke POURED out from under my hood!

I stopped it, got out, raised the hood and saw that the smoke was coming from right around where my valve cover meets the head. CRAP. That's when I noticed that there was a decent sized rock in front of my right front tire. This got me thinking! I had moved the wheel back and forth trying to solve this issue but I'd never really put any pressure into it. Now, with the wheel against a rock, turning the wheel built up pressure in the system. so I fire up my jeep again, turn the wheel and immediately smokes. aha! get back to my shop, turn the wheel all the way and then give it a little extra and bam, smoke!

looks like it was spraying out from between the pump and reservoir but only when the pressure built up. New pump and high pressure line, 60 bucks and an hour later, no smoke!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Damn dude, at first it sounded like you blew a headgasket! Glad you got it fixed. You said it only cost you $60 for a new power steering pump and a high pressure line? Seriously? That'd be like $125 at least at the auto parts store for me I think. Where did you buy them if you don't mind telling?

Theoretically speaking, if the pressure builds up in the reservoir of the powersteering pump, the cause would be a restriction in the hydraulic system.
The power steering pump is a constant flow rate and displacement, vane-type pump. The pump internal parts operate submerged in fluid. The flow control orifice is part of the high pressure line fitting. The pressure relief valve inside the flow control valve limits the pump pressure. If a restriction occurs, the fluid will accumulate in the reservoir until it overflows.

look at the brain on brad! :)

that's probably what was happening then because the old high pressure line had kind of a twist/crimp in it. It was super bad but it would definitely restrict flow.

Oh well I'm not opposed to replacing parts that I don't trust, I'd much rather spend a little bit of money at my shop than have to spend a lot of money towing or worse, leaving it on the trail and coming back for it!

Damn dude, at first it sounded like you blew a headgasket! Glad you got it fixed. You said it only cost you $60 for a new power steering pump and a high pressure line? Seriously? That'd be like $125 at least at the auto parts store for me I think. Where did you buy them if you don't mind telling?

sorry, $65. :)

I got them from autozone
high pressure line
pump

I thought it was a head gasket too! whew.

Back