Cj7 78 quadratrac vacuum lines

Wildwolf498

there are three lines that come out from the emergency switch. I know that two of them go to the transfer case. Where does the third one go? And which two go to the transfer case? Thanks:???:

The switch has 3 hoses. One is a vacuum source from the engine, the other two go to the vacuum shifter on the case. The vacuum source is the middle nipple (if I remember correctly) and the switch connects the vacuum to one of the two hoses going to the shifter.
The shifter is just a simple diaphragm that moves a rod to lock the front and rear driveshafts. There is a nipple on each side of the diaphragm for the vacuum lines to pull it one way or the other.

Last edited:
Thank's jay, I found the vacuum line and you were right the vacuum line goes on the middle nipple. What is the quadra trac for? What does it do? Now the problem that I have is that I don't Know is if I have the emergency swith on while the swith is on the regular 4wd drive side. How Could I test it if its on? :?
Thanks

I have a part time conversion kit (previous owner) but the stock Quadratrac is a full time 4wd transfer case. The emergency switch locks the center differential in the case putting it in a part-time 4wd mode. You are never in 2wd with this case. If you drive on pavement in normal mode it should be a smooth drive when making turns. If you put it in emergency drive, you should feel the drivetrain binding up, just like other Jeeps in 4wd. The part time kit I have removes the center differential making it 2wd in regular mode and part time 4wd when the emergency switch is on.

You could also look at a diagram for the transfer case to see which way the shift rod is pushed to engage the emergency drive.

Back