Welders

88Wrangles

While many here seem to want to learn how to weld, I thought this would be an appropriate question. What is a good welder that would do all the basic stuff. I am assuming a MIG, but are there different types? Also, how much $$ would I be looking at?

Clean/Lifted '91 YJ for sale FL

i am trying to decide between 175 amp mig and a 225 or so amp stick. for the mig you are lookin at 7-8 hundred and for the stick you can get away for slightly less that 300. at this point i am leaning to a 225 amp stick, but a week ago it was the mig... maybe i need one of each... even a TIG :mrgreen:

I bought a Home Depot 175. Middle grade on sale. For about half the price of a Hobart. I occasionally pop a (220 V) 15 AMP fuse at higher settings.
Noticed that the insides of many welders are the same pieces or close enough not to make much difference. The brand name they sell them under can be different. Most of the major welder manufactures produce, contract welders for many of the local retailers, Wal.Mart, Home Depot etc. They slap there name on there, maybe another color. I hang out for the sales. Can often save a couple of hundred bucks. A six step heat range and an ifinitely adjustable wire feed are really all thats necessary. The more electronics the higher the cost. Though a constant AMP system does have it´s benefits, AMP/heat changes as the material heats, you can either adjust with technique or buy a machine that adjusts for you. A spot weld timer, is also nice.
A bayonet hose, wire, pistol assembly is nice, can switch from large pistol to small pistol quick. Metal wire feed rollers and tensioners, are also something else to watch for, last better than the plastic.
Much of your welding can be done with, straight C02, the Argon mixes are used for cleaner welds, but cost double. If you know anybody in the resurant business, the same bottles used for the coke machine (with a regulator), work well for sheet metal work. If you buy your own bottles, the refills for the larger bottles are often close to the same as for the smaller bottles. Double the bottle size, doesn´t mean twice as much to refill, shop around. I get my refills from Home depot, cheaper than by the wholesaler. My local Home depot, doesn´t charge for bottle inspection and tags or inspection stamps.
Check for the availability of teflon inserts for your hoses, if you want to weld, non-ferrous metals sometime.
An auto dimming mask is also nice, but pricey.

I Had a 225 lincoln arc, SOLD. Great to learn on.
Mostly I use a Schumacher Turbo 145 mig. I use pure argon (Does look nice).
A Campbell Hausfeld 105 Mig For smaller jobs. I have used the Schumacher for Aluminum with great results. Now for any stick jobs I use the OBW on the truck.
I see buying a welder like buying a lift, Seems you always want a bigger one.

Schumacher was 600.00
Campbell 300.00 Ebay
Lincoln I bought used for 120.00
With Mingez's post it might be nice to post pics of welds.
Flux core is a cheap way to weld. It works.

When I get some time I will make some passes and post how each one looks...

I am a Miller man myself, I have a 110 side kick and a 220 miller matic blue ox!

Lincoln mig is a great welder for the beginner for the cost and what you get.
I would avoid the craftsman brand welders. I have only use two of them and both were not the level of quality I would like!

Get creative, put a AC delco alternator on you rig and convert it to be a welder!

I have used the Miller 120Volt MIG, 220 Volt MIG and 220Volt stick welders. Alll are great welders depending on what you want to do. Some people prefer a stick because they say the penetration is better. The 110 Volt Mig is good for small jobs. I turned it on low and patched screw holes in the tub of my CJ before I paintd it. That would be hard to do with the others without burning bigger holes thorugh the sheet metal.
Overall I prefer the 220 Volt Millers. You can get them in many different models with all kinds of options. I like the ones with the smaller gun for getting in tight spots and welding roll cages.
The MIG in addition with an auto darkening hood is really easy to learn with. Just remember to always watch the bead burn into the metal and not just lay a bead on top of it. I have not had any problems with cracks or failures with any welds on my Jeep (it's got a ton of them) and most were done with a 220 Miller MIG. I even wekded the beadlock rings on my wheels and none of them leak down.

Welding equip. is like any other tool in your shop.
If your going to use it alot or can afford the upperend stuff I'd get a Miller or Lincoln Mig.
I still have my first welder I bought in '77 in my garage it's a Lincoln AC 225 and still works great. Still available for less than $300
I perfer to weld with with DC current & needed a portable generator/welder for my business so I have a Miller Bobcat that is a great unit for approx. $2500.

XJ axle in a CJ swap?

I picked up a lincoln electric 100HD from home depo for $325. So far it has been great. The mig conversion is $100 but you can only weld about 1/2 the thickness. I have done a few projects and I think I am at least starting to learn.

I got me a low amp 110V mig/flux welder... I'll tell ya... if you go with a wire feed.... go with a mig... make sure it uses, or can convert to use gas... it is inconvenient to have to brush off slag all the time to keep a good clean weld with flux core wire... i rent a giant CO2/Argon tank from a local welding supply for $35/year.

The first welder I ever worked with, and learned on was a Miller 220v big mother-jabber... It was like using a hot glue gun for metal... It is easy to learn if you have a steady hand and a decent attention span

If you simply want to learn, and be able to do some small projects... I would suggest going with a 115-135amp 110v mig welder... I promise you'll love it

I have 2 mig's and one stick. My big mig is a Snap On 140 amp that uses 110 @ 25 amps and is 100% duty cycle. I use this mig for frame and collision repair and have found nothing on a car/truck that I cant weld. It is a very pricy tool at about 3 g's with a spool gun and a tig torch. The reasons I Chose this mig was because the spool drive is detatchable for working on a frame machine and that it is 110 voltage and since I like to take it to the occasional frends house 110 is almost always avail. I have worked in shops that use the lincoln 130 amp or 175 amp and they work great. very small units also. Mig is much cleaner and easier to use in my opinion. less cleanup after the weld. If you bevel the joint and can preheat it you can weld some pretty thick metal with a 130 amp mig. Just lay a good root bead and keep laying beads on top to fill the gap. Remember practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. I also like the auto shaded helmets.

Help Please

you should check out harbor freight tools. they have some welders and auto darkening masks cheap. i haven't been able to wire up my mig yet. they also have parts so you can comvert yor arc welder to tig. they have the bottles for gas cheap as well.

I just got a plasma cutter, Don't know how I ever got along before without it ...
I use harbor freight for the supplies, tips, grinding wheels.

jps4jeep said:
Get creative, put a AC delco alternator on you rig and convert it to be a welder!
now i just gotta figure out how to build one for a on-board plasma cutter ! :)

Hey, why dont you make one ?

a member of my musclecar club had an alternator, perfect for the job.... we were over at his house making sound recordings of his newly supercharged mustang... and he said "know anyone interested in a chevy alternator with a dead regulator? i guess it is now an infinite amp alternator"... I jumped on the offer quicker than (something really quick)... but as he looked for it, his wife told him that she threw it out the day before... POOP

Back