turbo/supercharge

cali_92

is 162,000+ to many miles to supercharge my 2.4?
im not trying to blow up my engine.
maybe supercharge but just a little?

anyone know about doing that?

I don't know of anyone making a supercharger kit for the four-banger, that means buying a centrifugal blower and fabricating everything else. Anything is possible, but there are a lot of easier ways to get power than that. Swapping in a small block chevy sounds like a big deal but as far as money is concerned it would probably come out about even and would take less time and ingenuity because it wouldn't require all the custom fabwork, let alone trying to make the computer get along with the blower. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It is ussually good to overhaul the engine prior to doing any kind of forced induction (this is one of the first statements Corky Bell makes in one of his books)...

there is a bolt on turbo kit for the 2.5L, costs about 3 grand, only good till about 240 horse... better investment with out the turbo lag would be a warmed over V6 or a V8

Last edited:

I agree with Johnny, 3g's in the pot is a lot to dump in a 4cyl.. It would be more practical and cost effective for an overall engine upgrade .

Another down side to a supercharger or a turbo is that they make you run hot. So now you'll have to cool her back down, intercoolers, fans, etc., etc.,etc. By the time you're done that 3K has grown into 4 or 5K. You'll go crazy by the time you're done. :crazy:

yea everyboby makes sence...
im just gonna wait till engine goes and upgrade to a 6.
like an all aluminum block.

thnx.

yea everyboby makes sence...
im just gonna wait till engine goes and upgrade to a 6.
like an all aluminum block.

thnx.

Don't. If you're gonna do it, go big and go to a V8. 350 Chevy smallblock for the win. A 6-cyl swap from a 4-cyl isn't really worth the time and trouble. You'll go from a 100hp engine to maybe a 200hp engine if you go with a decent N/A V6 and you're lucky. If you go with a V8 you can go to a given 250hp or even 300hp engine for roughly the same cost/trouble/time spent. Of course, this isn't mentioning torque, but the 350 smallblock will have plenty of torque. It was made for towing, after all. Not only that, V8 upgrades are usually way easier to find and cheaper than V6 upgrades. Especially in the case of the 350 smallblock, because there's millions of them floating around out there at any given time. Keep in mind that more popular engines usually get a better (and cheaper) aftermarket.

Last edited:
i want to say away from v8 because i already have a hot rod at home with a v8,
my jeep saves a lil cash on gas.
but i can never leave my cars stock

Back