towing my jeep

riverratba

i've been told it was not a good idea to tow any vehicle with a automatic trans. without disconnecting the drive shaft. i have a 2006 wrangler unlimited with auto trans. was just wondering how to tow it long distance. how will it affect the transmission and transfer case. do i need to disconnect the shaft from the transmission and transfer case to tow it. if i do that will i lose any trans fluid?

Check the owners manual, I'm sure it'll say you can flat-tow your jeep by simply leaving the transmission in park and putting the transfer case in neutral.

The manual will also tell you to not tow the jeep with either end off the ground and the other on the ground (tow dolly). You can get around this by disconnecting the driveshaft to the axle on the ground and wiring it up out of the way. Leave the driveshaft connected at the transfer case.

First and foremost...check your Owner's Manual!

That being said, I flat-tow my '03 Rubicon all the time and have had no ill effects. As said in another reply, Transmission in Park, Transfer Case in Neutral, Key in Ignition turned to "On."

No need to disconnect driveshafts. No limits as to how far or how fast you can tow. I do use a supplemental proportional braking system by RoadMaster called the EvenBrake. Excellent system, easy to use, very adjustable and helpful for additional stopping power.

Last edited:

That information you were given applies to a rear wheel driven 2wd. Since you have a 4WD , you have the advantage of disconnecting the axles from the drivetrain thru your t.case by means of shifting it to the neutral position. As everyone has stated so far in this thread, it's ok to flat tow your Jeep. Also, Phall stated to turn the ignition key to on. This is so the steering wheel doesn't lock however, you might want to invest on a quick battery disconnect to keep your battery peachy when you decide to drive it.

No need to turn the key to on, just turn it forward enough to unlock the steering wheel. At least my YJ has that option, not sure about the new fangled jeeps.

SteelHeadz and Bounty_Hunter both pointed out my mistake...

Do not turn the key to the "On" position but rather the unlocked "Off" position. You should not have anything illuminated on the instrument panel but the steering wheel will remain unlocked.

Attachments

• jeep ignition .jpg
    jeep ignition .jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,088

thanks for the info,but i don't understand the part about leaving the transmission in park. when you put the transfer case in neutral does this disconnect both axels from the transmission?

If the trans is not in Park, it allows the internal parts in the transmission to spin without proper lubrication, thus ruining your transmission.

Transfer case in neutral, auto trans in park and manual trans in 1st.

I've flat-towed quite a bit with no problems, just remember to have the tow bar as level as possible for proper handling. With lifted jeeps, this often requires flipping a drop hitch upside down on the tow vehicle so it reaches the height of the taller jeep.

Back