tire deflators

waste of money. just buy a cheap tool to take out the valve core and a good low pressure pressure guage.

Attachments

• 2d_2.JPG
    2d_2.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 540
I use a set, the kind you adjust to shut off at a preset psi. It's handy to put them on, wait a minute or two, take them off and you're done. By the time you get the 4th one on, the 1st is just about done.

I do want to pick up one of these though:
imagesashxiEZDEF_1OL-3.jpg

thanx for the advice
now i have to decide on a compressor for onboard air

I love my staun deflators, I got them back in 2004 when I saw them for the first time at the vendor booths at the Easter Jeep safari, they have worked perfectly every time I have used them. The leather pouch that they came in has held up in the center counsel box for 5 years and kept them set to 12 psi. no more standing there airing down and re-checking to set an even pressure, just put them on and 4-5 minutes later take them off and your ready to go. But I am lazy and like to stand around shooting the bull as I air down.

As for on-board air I run a Viair 450C with a 2.5 gal tank under the jeep.
The 'C' series means you can run the compressor longer than 15 minutes out of each hour without worrying about burning it up.
Never had a problem with it, once I got it set up right. I went with a electric air pump because I didn't want to pull my A/C unit to put in a York compressor, my buddy has gone this route and usually fills my back tires for me after filling all four of his, before I can fill both of my fronts. and he fills two at a time with his York set-up.

Hey DIY4x4

Is there any danger to having one of these tanks in your Jeep? I've seen other guys with them on the trail, but I've always wondered if they ever rupture (say if you roll over).

i thought about converting my beer tap tank, just don't want to pay $10+ to refill each time.
i just ordered the mf-1050 compressor (48.99 on amazon, free shipping). found a great write-up for onboard install on the empty plate in front of the driver under the hood.
as far as safety for the tank…the valve is the vulnerable part, if it gets broken off suddenly the tank will become a missile, if you do install, "aim" the bottom of the tank so it's not pointed at people in the vehicle.

My ex-wife has a good tire deflator. One morning i found my convertible spyder with all 4 tires deflated from the sidewall. My guess would be a double edged butterfly knife but i could be wrong.:cry:. Hey, those Co2 tanks can double as a refill station for paintballing.:D

Hey DIY4x4

Is there any danger to having one of these tanks in your Jeep? I've seen other guys with them on the trail, but I've always wondered if they ever rupture (say if you roll over).

It uses liquid CO2 gas. As the gas changes from a liquid to vapor, the pressure actually lowers. It wouldn't become a rocket it the valve was knocked off in a roll over.

I like the portability of the thing. I don't need to drive my rig around to deliver air. I can just pull it out of the back. The benefit of running air tools is also a big +.

A lot of folks think you will always be refilling these things, but not really. Check out this chart: POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems You can pick up refills at your local welding supply shop.

My ex-wife has a good tire deflator. One morning i found my convertible spyder with all 4 tires deflated from the sidewall. My guess would be a double edged butterfly knife but i could be wrong.:cry:. Hey, those Co2 tanks can double as a refill station for paintballing.:D

Thats an expensive deflator and only works one time.

I disagree; it works MANY times, just not on the same tires. Also, it can only be set for 0 PSI...

Once would be enough. Then its time to trade it in for a new model. :lol:

Back