Sway bar disco

danthedent

Quick question.So since I gotta disconnect my sway bar when wheelin. So my question is. Is it possible to disconnect the links without jacking it or should I just get quick disconnects for it.

Also another thing. I was driving in the rain the other day and was just not in the mood to be slipping so I threw in four high part time. I was made about 3 turns total which I made sure to be quite wide. Also one was up hill. I made sure to take it out before I pulling into the store I was going to. My back left tire ended up popping some how could it be from the 4wheel?

I didn't buy special disconnects for my swaybar. I took the bolts out and stuck hitch pins in. They have all sizes at tractor supply. When off road time comes, a quick pull on the pins and the job is done.

Never heard of such a problem with your tire.

I didn't buy special disconnects for my swaybar. I took the bolts out and stuck hitch pins in. They have all sizes at tractor supply. When off road time comes, a quick pull on the pins and the job is done.

Never heard of such a problem with your tire.

Do you have to do any cutting or anything that's just not simple? Also when taking the links off do you have to jack it?

No cutting. Just stick the hitch pins where the bolts were on each side. You do not have to lift your jeep to disconnect. Make sure to secure the disconnected sway bar to prevent it from dangling and getting hit on something.

I'll show you a pic when my jeep is clean.

Heeeelllllllpppp the gosh darn hex piece won't budge on either side........ One side is stripped....

image-1277149981.jpg

Attachments

• image-3127942957.jpg
    image-3127942957.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 290
Protect the threads and give it a few good whacks, unless you don't care about the threads.

You don't need to jack the Jeep to reconnect the swaybar, just park on level ground. You may have to push up or down on one side of the Jeep to get things to line up.

The bolt that's in the mount from the axle is litterally like welded on I don't care about the threads I'm putting in hitch pins I just need these suckers out

image-1689995064.jpg

What I'm pointing to is what I'm talking about

Just to make sure, we're talking about a 2000 Grand Cherokee right? You may with to fill in your Jeep's info here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/profile.php?do=extra
so that people can easily tell what type of Jeep you have.

I believe that bolt is a torx, not a hex

Hex / Socket bolt:
socket-head-cap-screw.jpg

Torx bolt:
csk-torx-machine-screw-500x500.jpg

You'll want to pick up a set of torx sockets in the future (most of the bolts on our Jeeps are torx):
Torx_Socket_001.jpg

I normally replace these torx with quality hex head bolts as I work on them, because as you've found, it's easy to strip them.

Now, for your current situation, you may have to go a different route if the heads are stripped. You could try vice grips on the bolt head, or if you get really desperate, try heating it up a bit.

Here's my article when I installed disconnects on my Wrangler:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspensi...isconnects-your-jeep-wrangler.html#post232295

Last edited:
I wouldn't destroy the threads yet.

You may not get that bolt out today, so you'd have to put your swaybar back on to drive to work tomorrow.

And would driving how it is really mess something up? Causes link can't come off because of the bolt

Sway bars keep the Jeep from swaying back and forth in turns. If you could imagine taking a hard left turn - the Jeep body would want to roll towards the outside of the turn, or the passenger side. Sway bars (or more technically, anti-sway bars) keep body roll to a minimum.

Some people drive without them, but it's not for me. You'll likely be fine without them until you have to make an emergency maneuver on the freeway... then it'll get dangerous.

Sorry, I meant to say that it was a torx, and not a hex (I updated my post).

Back