stubborn TPS sensor

knappa

Trying to change the "throttle position sensor" in a 2003 liberty 3.7 L, cannot get torx screws on old "tps' to budge, (have never changed one on a Jeep). dont want to do any damage. Anybody have any Ideas
Thanx

The 2 torx screws have loctite on them and that's why it's difficult to remove. The new TPS should have replacement screws in the box. My only suggestion is to make sure you don't wobble the torx bit in the screw while you break it loose to avoid stripping it. It rarely breaks, and if it does, either you have to remove the t.body from the intake and drill out the broken screw and re-tap the thread or if there's enough of the screw sticking out, you can use a vicegrip.

The 2 torx screws have loctite on them and that's why it's difficult to remove. The new TPS should have replacement screws in the box. My only suggestion is to make sure you don't wobble the torx bit in the screw while you break it loose to avoid stripping it. It rarely breaks, and if it does, either you have to remove the t.body from the intake and drill out the broken screw and re-tap the thread or if there's enough of the screw sticking out, you can use a vicegrip.

Thanx for the info

Hey. All ! U. Might. Try a little. WD-40. Or. Lock-tite. Type. Removal. Compound. Also. Make. Sure. TORX. Bit. Fits. Snugly. In. Screw. Head. So. That it. Does. Not. Strip. Out (can put small piece of. Foil on bit to take up play). This has. Worked. For. Me in. The. Past. TPS. Sensor. Is. In. Reality a: Variable. Resistor (POT) - This is an Electronic. Component-- as. You. Vary. The. Position. Of. The. Throttle. - TPS. Voltage. SHOULD. VARY. SMOOTHLY. Over. Range - Look. In. Manual. For. Exact voltage. Range TPS. Sensors. Are. Famous. For. Going. Out on. These. Jeeps- You. Need a. DVM To Check TPS sensor Voltage. You. May. Also. Check RESISTANCE. Of. Sensor. With. OHM. METER. (Disconnect sensor first). RESISTANCE. Should. Vary. Smoothly. Over. Range of. Potentionmeter. (POT). No JUMPS. Or OPENS! Hope this Helps - JB

You have filled out your TPS report right?
I would hate to have to memo you on it again.......

Not. Sure. How. Germane. The. Previous. Post. Is. To. This. Thread?? Might. Have. To Run it. By. The. Administrator\Moderator. And. Get. A. Reading. What. Was. The. PURPOSE. Of. This. Post? Quote: Memo. You. Again? There. Are. Some. RULES. To. This. JEEP. FORUM - - Perhaps. They. Need. To. Be. Explained. In. More. Detail. To. Some. Members! COMMENTS????

Icelia said:
Inside joke, anyone who has watched 'office space' got a chuckle out of that one.

Apparently jimbob was only wearing his "15 pieces of flare ...gotta love Office Space!

I'm. Afraid. I. Have. MISSED. - - OFFICE. SPACE. - - DID NOT. - "GET. THAT ONE" - - I. GUESS. I. Will. Have. To. TUNE. IN. To. That. SHOW. - - So. That. I. Wil. Get. That ONE! I. Have. Heard. Of. - OFFICE. - - Oh. Well. - - I. Guess. I. Will. Check it out. Some. Time!

Back