Steering box?

Peszko

Just put 33's on my 89 Wrangler and noticed the steering wheel will still turn when the tires are to the extreme left or right also when the ignition is off and I try and turn the wheels, I can force the steering wheel to turn but wheels don't move. Is the steering box bad or does it need to be ajusted? Will a stock geer box work with 33"s?

Thanks,
Peszko

RE: vinal top cleaners

First off, Welcome to Jeepz.com! but unfortunately I can't answer all of your question. I have never heard of the steering wheel steering BEYOND the max left or right... not to mention with the ignition off. Something is def. not right (duh), my 91 steering wheel locks if I try to turn the wheel when the ignition is off and I'm runnin 36s. I don't think your 33s have anything to do with it, maybe just coincidence? Was this happening before you put the larger tires on it?

As for the steering box, It will handle the 33s for a while. I know pleanty of people with the stock box and 33s or higher. My box went bad about a year after driving around on the 36s... upgraded to an ARG box. It's one beefy box and it will last you forever, so I've heard.

Hope this helps

Joop

well then...

What I ment to say was the steering wheel still turns after the tires stop when they just about hit the leaf springs. Does this mean the steering box is bad or is something stripped?

RE: well crap

hey joopin do the rebuild kits work for the steering boxes? it alot cheaper than spending $199 on a new one

That's the steering stop.

Wether the stop is in there or not, the steering wheel shouldn't keep turning. Something will stop the tire eventually!

Would a worn out steering gearbox do that? That's the same thing my Chevy did with the stock steering box and the 44" tires.

RE: AGR or rebuilt stock steering box?

snowdog said:
hey joopin do the rebuild kits work for the steering boxes? it alot cheaper than spending $199 on a new one

Never rebuilt one, just bought an AGR. It's worth the money.

Something is def. stripped if the wheel is still turning. I don't know where that something is... maybe the steering box... just start replacing stuff until its all better!! :D

Decisions, decisions. . .

Thanks for the help. I am having the steering box rebuilt today. I will let you know how it came out.

Back