solenoid

bjscj7

I have a 1982 cj7, 258 inline 6, standard. Has run excellent but now, I turn the key and nothing. I had a similar thing happen a few years ago and at the time I replaced the solenoid which sloved the problem. I did the same this time but result is different. I got power to the lights, radio, etc but when I turn key I hear one quick click type noise and then have no power to anything. I tightened connections to the solenoid, got power again to lights but then nothing when I turn ignition key. Any help?

Make sure the surface of the eyelets that bolts to the solenoid are clean. Constant arc on the surface will create pits and carbon burns that will result in a bad connection. Do the same check on the battery connections. If all is good, you might have gotten a solenoid bad out of the box.

New problem now but thanks for the advice. Sure enough, that click noise was the snap of an arc at the negative battery terminal. My battery cables were in pretty rough shape so I replaced with some new ones. It started right up. The new problem is when I turn the ignition key off (even take it out) the engine is still running. I went from cant start to cant shut off! The guy at the CAP auto parts store got me the cables and it seems the negative cable is much larger gage than what I had. Could that have anything to do with it?

maybe you swapped a wire where it shouldn't go on the solenoid?

Back