Rough country lifts

83mudjeep

RE: Antone lose their JEEP?

just to let everybody know there is a recent problem with rough country lift kits. For the third time in 2 months i installed a rough country 4 " lift kit on a customers 87 yj. I installed it the first time. everything looked fine we had 4 1/4 lift as the inital measurement and a week and a half later he was back at my shop complaining that the springs were sagging. I looked at it and sure enough the springs had a slight frown. Nowhere near where they should be. It measured out at 1" higher than stock.called rough country and they sent out a new set of springs. I installed them and wouldn't you know it 2 weeks later he's back at my shop, same problem again. Now i'm pissed and he's pissed and nobody's happy. called rough country again. now they admit to me they had a bad batch of springs due to a problem in the heat treating process. They shipped me out another set and now 4 days later after some mild wheelin (that i was there to witness) same problem again. I called rough country and told them exactly what i thought. Now i've installed springs 3 times that i didn't get paid for, lost my ass on the job, and out of my own pocket i bought some skyjacker springs for this poor kid. He's happy now, i'm happy because i won't have to reinstall springs on this kids yj and i'm never selling or installing rough country lift kits EVER again.

RE: Antone lose their JEEP?

finally something that i can get rough country for, ive never liked them and this just contributes to that, craftmanship is key, but apparently not to them

you got that right. I've installed many lift kits at my shop on everything from pick-ups to cj's to tj's and even some bronco's...ewww. anyway I never recommend anything but RE, skyjacker, black diamond, and O.M.E. Rough country lift kits are deffinately bottom of the barrell. i well NEVER AGAIN sell or install one in my shop.

Ohh yeah, without a doubt. i would go with black diamond. I've had their 3 " kit on my cj7 for quite a while. it gets trailed pretty hard sometimes and i've broken about everything but the suspension.

LOL, but I notice you have a BDS on your 83. I tell you there are so many choices out there. One thing I have noticed and this is a fact never and i mean never but the least expensive item on! I have friends that have Ol man emu's, but for some reason I havnt yet to hear or see anyone w/ a jeep have one. Is there a reason?

i'd say its mostly the price that scares the people away. and the small lift. i believe the kits are only 2 and 2 1/2" people figure why pay $900 for a 2 1/2" lift when you can spend half that and get a 4" kit from bds, skyjacker or anyone else.

jee wiz, and I had just figured out what I was going to get with the money saved by buying the rough country lift!!! Hey Mudjeep, I'm quessing you ment Rubicon Express by R.E. , but what does O.M.E. stand for? Man, and I had finally made up my mind but my son and I are putting in to much work to install junk!! By the way, Por15 is awesome, we are scraping and coating the entire underside. Had to replace the rear cross member and gas tank skid plate so access is good. Por15'd the axle, looks awesome. Just seemed like it would be a shame to install new parts into that rusty mess! And in NYS, impact wrench or not, body lift bolts DO NOT just pop right off!!!! Wish I never would have started the body lift but the bushings were shot and the rears are bolted thru the crossmember that had to come off so oh well!? Thanks Mudjeep for saving me alot of grief by the sounds of it!

O.M.E. stands for Old Man EMU. Their kits usually run around $900. They are great kits with high quality stuff, but damm expensive. My personal choices are Black Diamond, Rubicon Express, and skyjacker. Don't get me wrong, other companies make quality lift kits. So i don't want anyone to think i'm down talking their choiuce of lift kits. I'm just saying what i have had the best luck with.

I know all of the companies have managed to get a decent pair of springs out the door at some point, and I also realize that all the companies have sold a junk lift before....so others will have different opinions based on their personal experiences........but I won't recommend anything but Skyjacker or RE anymore, at least not for a performance oriented application where the suspension will be expected to really perform. From what I've seen, those two companies have proven themselves to consistently produce quality components and strive to continually improve their products.

What about rusty's lifts? I heard they were good stuff and pretty economical and am planning on putting one on my cj-7 soon.

thanx, 83mudjeep!! duly noted in the back of my mind. THAT's what this forum's great for (grammar???). Proud to have you as a Jeepz Peepz.

Re: RE: the eagles are going to jacksonville

Well, this is very discouraging.

Someone said in a previous post:
check out hell creek at www.hellcreeksuspensions.com - Tom uses his own springs w/the roughcountry components

I bought his 2.5" kit and they came Friday with "Rough Country" stenciled on the springs, so he clearly does not use his own springs. I guess I will see what happens. At least the project is going well.

Thanks for the word of warning. I'm a ways from putting the lift on the YJ, but hopefully, I'll remember this when it comes that time.

Ive had my RC lift on for over a year now and no sagging after the initial settling. You may have gotten one of the bad "batch" springs but overall its a very good kit for the money, especially for the occassional offroader. Price isnt always everything. but then again Im a cheap bast$%d.

RE: i

I gotta hear more about hell creek ... Im about a week away from getting a 4" and they were leading the pack...

Did the hell creek actually come with lower control arms?
They sent me an email which said it did ... sounds great for the price...

I have the Hell Creek lift, and on the springs in Yellow is the same thing "YJ 4 USA HELL CREEK". I bought mine in December 2003 and while yes, they settled about 1/2", they are still clearing my 33's with no rubbing. Tom Laher (the owner) also owns Laher spring corporation and he buys the RC kit ONLY and adds his springs. When you order from him, the springs ship separately from the install kit. If you want pictures, let me know.

corey
ps. I know I've been MIA for a while. Firewall at work was blocking jeepz.com, but now it's available. I missed you guys.

SenorCole
I've heard that Rusty's has great components and that thier lift systems are quality, but they apparently have some issues when it comes to customer service. Their shipping times are very unpredictable and customers are often left waiting for extremly long periods of time for a lift system. This is all heresay from a different forum but numerous people have had the same issue. If your a pateint person go for.

Cleaner

I'll back up Rough Country, I've seen quality kits from them and I've seen those jeeps with RC work very well.

I know for a fact that many manufacturers go through the occasional spell with bad leaf springs, you hear it on most every board. Not to mention the fact that most lift manufacturers get their springs from only a few spring manufacturers.

I've got a Rusty's 3.5" kit on my YJ now and I'm pleased with it.

Back