pretty much set on getting a TJ

on another note, is there really any reason for me not to get a 4 cyl, other than the power? i wouldnt think it would have much less capabilities unless you're in deep mud or something.

Plans on what you really intend to do with it. We have a saying that goes something like, "It's not what you wheel but how you wheel it." A lot of folks enjoy their 4 cylinder Jeeps and wouldn't have it any other way. On the other hand, I have heard quite a few people lament not buying a Wrangler with the 4.0 in-line six and while power is a major factor there are other things as well.

The Aisin Warner AX5 manual 5-speed transmission mated to the 2.5 AMC motor and NP231 transfer case found in the early Wranglers is a light duty transmission that doesn't have a stellar reputation holding up well in off road use.

The other issue is the rear Dana 35 axle. In stock form it should provide indefinite service with no problems. Add larger tires and a heavy foot in the rough stuff and it could be disastrous although a lot of folks wheel with these and seem to have pretty good luck. Generally speaking, not the most desirable axle to have for rough off road use.

Then there is the power issue...oh, yeah, you already mentioned that. I'd suggest really trying to find someone that has one that will let you drive it around for a couple of days. It won't take too long to discover if you can live with the 4-banger or not.

Theyre good on-road but do alright off-road And I do more interstate drivin then anything...

another question,
i was talking to my mom about getting a soft top, and she brought up a good point: does it keep heat in (as in if it gets really cold, will it be extremely cold inside), and how the soft top works with a lot of snow on it (like sagging and such).
thanks

They hold up pretty well, as far as snow goes. Depending on what kind you get. Most of them have frames in them, so its not like its gonna collapse or anything. As far as the cold goes, any car is chilly when you first get in, but as long as you have a good working blower motor on your heater, and its not like 10 below, its not too bad. I just let it heat up for 5 or 10 minutes like I would with any other vehicle, and its good to go. Maybe slightly colder than a hard top would be, but that's a small price to pay for having the coolest wheels on the road, if you ask me. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should be fine.

i am a huge fan of my hardtop but i wish i had a soft top also

Soft tops are great. I love the fact that you have the ability to have it off, but still have it with you, in the case of a freak storm or something. That was one of the major criteria for me when I was searching for the perfect jeep for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

i would like a soft top because security is not a problem for me. my neighborhood is an older neighborhood, we all know each other, we don't have to lock our doors. i work on base so i can leave my keys in the ignition and my jeep is safe. i have a hardtop because of how nice it is in the summer with the ac on and how i can go to houston and not worry about someone slicing my top because they see something they like. when my jeep is locked, you aren't getting in.

the only negative is how much of a pain in the butt it is removing the top. and the full doors are heavy and a pain to store

I hear ya on the security issue. Luckily, I live in a pretty nice area too, but I've heard horror stories about getting sliced. It makes me sick to think about somebody doing that to a jeep. I've never been in a fight in my life, but if I ever saw something like that go down, I think I would be a force to be reckoned with... and they would be very sorry.

another question,
i was talking to my mom about getting a soft top, and she brought up a good point: does it keep heat in (as in if it gets really cold, will it be extremely cold inside), and how the soft top works with a lot of snow on it (like sagging and such).
thanks
I haven't noticed ours sagging at all even with the blizzards we've had the last two years here. I keep the blower on 2 or 3 and it's fine after it warms up. I set it on the floor-defrost mix, my daughter who usually drives it sets it on the dash vents. I did see that Bestop has a soft-top headliner that you can snap in.

Winter12B_2010.JPG
Winter12B_2010JPG-1.jpg

BTW, as you see the snow is about even with the top of the tires. I shifted into 4wd and drove right out. No fuss, no muss.

so what would yall get as your only vehicle and daily driver, a soft top or hard top, and why would you get your preferred over the other.

i would get the hardtop because of the security. your hardtop will last forever also, the soft top will require replacement at around 5 years (from reading, is what i am taking is normal) if you travel alot, the lack of wind noise is nice. i set cruise, and turn the radio on to a nice level and ride. no slapping sound or whistling noises.

i think the cost will be the same for hard or soft top, up front. but finding a hard top after you purchase will cost alot more also. plus, finding hard doors is very expensive after the fact. its a lot cheaper to get a soft top and doors later on then going the other route. i got a set of full soft doors for free from some guy cleaning his garage out and a set of bestop half soft doors on ebay for less than 100 bucks

so what would yall get as your only vehicle and daily driver, a soft top or hard top, and why would you get your preferred over the other.
Bestop sailcloth and also the headliner. That's what I plan on getting anyway. It's a Jeep, that means the roof gotta come OFF when the weather is good. :shades:

What's ya'lls take on high mileage jeeps? I've see plenty of jeeps around me that are mid-2000 year range with 100k to 140k miles.... This is some pretty steep mileage, but it also leads me to believe that theyve never seen the trail and just have hwy miles on them. I ask because these are also the more affordable jeeps out there running under $9k.

Definitely NOT steep mileage for a jeep at all. Those bad boys are still being broken in! Mine has 174,000 and is still rocking. I've seen them still going strong at 435,000 too. As long as they are well maintained, they will last a long, long time.

been thinking, and realized that ill be in living in dorms, and wouldn't have room to store a hard top, and even if i did, im sure my room mate wouldnt want half of our dorm being taken up by my jeeps hard top. and like hell am i gonna get a jeep and not ride with the top off/down.
btw room mate probably get mad enough at me for taking doors off. hopefully people arnt douches anymore and wont mess with a jeep w/out top or doors.

new question: has anyone experienced any vandalism while their top was off?

Speaking from the perspective of someone who went to college and old enough to have had had a kid in college. I think there is a lot to be said for life experience, that unfortunately is being forgotten here by those old enough to know better. First and foremost this is a kid going to college living in the dorms. DO NOT get a soft top. People screw with other people's stuff just for the fun of it, especially in college. For someone to think people will not do this is naive. They will cut, break into, or even steal stuff from your Jeep. If you must get a Jeep, get a plain jane Jeep you can afford with a hard top and doors. Forget about axles, engines, big tires, lift kits, bumpers, stereos, etc. All of these things are nothing more than bait for someone to steal or screw with, and will become a distraction from your studies which is priority one. You will most likely have the only Jeep in the student parking lot, so it will stick out like a sore thumb amongst all the other econo box cars, which again will make it an easy target. Your only reason to go to college is to get an education, not to go out wheeling or look cool in what you drive. There will be plenty of time and a lot more money to do that stuff after college. No matter what vehicle you get have a respected mechanic look it over prior to buying it. You don't need a high maintenance vehicle, especially in college. There is no such thing as a honest garage in a college town. Kinda like expecting to find a lost and found in a border town.

Last edited:
that's true.

i never went to college so i couldn't comment on that part of owning a jeep but now that you make that point, its just like living in the barracks on base and people screw with your crap there, for the hell of it also

I too never went to college. And I guess I've always been lucky enough to live in places where people respect each other. He is right though. You probably wouldn't want to make your jeep stick out if that's the case.

Back