power steering

gamuddinboy

I am searching for a power steering bracket and or whole system to bolt on to my existing vehicle. My jeep came without power steering. Anybody with extra parts or know where can acquire these items would be helpful.

Rich, post on the General chat section too and see if you can get some hits there. Good to see you found the site and Welcome.

I am searching for a power steering bracket and or whole system to bolt on to my existing vehicle. My jeep came without power steering. Anybody with extra parts or know where can acquire these items would be helpful.

My '85 CJ7 was in the same boat. I went to a junkyard and found an '87 Cherokee with power steering. I took the pump and bracket, hoses and the gearbox with the Pittman Arm attached. The gearbox on the donor vehicle was bolted directly to the frame with no bracket. When I removed my manual gearbox, I found the ps box bolted directly to the bracket I already had. An exact fit. I was told I would need a new bell connector to connect my steering shaft to the ps gearbox, because the tooth count was different, but mine fit fine, so I went with it. I did have to buy a new pressure hose because the one that came with the Cherokee rose too high to fit under the body of the CJ (a $20 part). It really was a bolt-on job, and I'm super happy with it. No problems at all.

My '85 CJ7 was in the same boat. I went to a junkyard and found an '87 Cherokee with power steering. I took the pump and bracket, hoses and the gearbox with the Pittman Arm attached. The gearbox on the donor vehicle was bolted directly to the frame with no bracket. When I removed my manual gearbox, I found the ps box bolted directly to the bracket I already had. An exact fit. I was told I would need a new bell connector to connect my steering shaft to the ps gearbox, because the tooth count was different, but mine fit fine, so I went with it. I did have to buy a new pressure hose because the one that came with the Cherokee rose too high to fit under the body of the CJ (a $20 part). It really was a bolt-on job, and I'm super happy with it. No problems at all.

Same boat here...I was told I would need a bracket for pump and possibly a new heim/bell....not the case, whole unit bolted right into my Tj. I also opted to buy a brand new pressure line just to keep from runnin into prob;ems later......

I wish I did this two years ago...Man it was worth every penny to be able to make a tight turn with one shot.......

The down side is my biceps are losing some girth from not wrestling the steering wheel all the time...

Advanced adapers makes a great kit to convert to PS. A little high in price but worth every penny. I just converted my 71 cj to PS with the AA kit. I pieced mine together from their kit and it works great!! I went to Oriellys and bought a PS box for a 77 Nova and used an old chevy pump I got from a friend. Perfect upgrade from the old stlye bellcrank steering it had!

Back