np231 tcase leaking

mouse53

OK I came here for info on the trans swap and it went good , ( many thanks to SteelHeadz for the info).
I have a leak from the rear output shaft on the tcase. I replaced the seal,( being careful to not score the case and use a same size piece of ABS to install the seal), but the leak is still there. The strange thing is, I didn't remove any more than the dust shield on that part of the case when doing the change and it never leaked before. I also do not know why there is a lock-ring right where the seal sits, even though there isn't anything there to hold.

Rich

Check the yoke that rides on that seal for a groove. It should be smooth.

That seal rides directly on the tailshaft, not the yoke. I'd try another seal, making sure it fits snug over the shaft. Use a little RTV around the seal where it fits inside the tailcone.

Lube the rubber surface of the seal where it slips over the tailshaft and be extra carefull slipping it on so as to not tear the seal.

OK, thanks to both of you, Bounty Hunter & SteelHeadz. The seal does ride on the shaft directly, and I was extremely careful not to nick or punture the new seal ( which was a pain to find since the one I needed was for the later Cherokee/Wrangler ) the book # for the 97 gives you a smaller outside diameter and larger diameter inside, unusable. Don't know why, but only NAPA was able to crossreference #'s from the old seal and get me the right one 98--2000. I know about the snap ring for the bearing, this one is a lockring and sits right where the seal hits the shaft. Seemed odd to me with nothing but the seal there and the possibility of the lockring damaging the seal. Did I miss something? I checked the parts break-down and can't seem to find anything missing. All the tcase manuals I find online show a longer tailhousing than this one has, but it is a slipyoke driveline.

Rich

Back