New Jeep.....

FiCJeep

thinking of purchasing another Jeep...........it is a 1987 Wrangler YJ that will be built pretty strictly for offroading....

so im looking for a run down on the 87's ............. all the info i can get would be really helpful....

the 87 im looking at has a 5spd and a 6cyl engine decent body and good frame..... so anything else a complete rundown would be great on the 87s

thanks FiC

The motor will not be fuel injected from the factory in that year, the 6 cyl is a 258, displacment is 4.2 L. The roll bar will be a CJ style roll bar. I am sure there is more, but thats all the big one's I can think of for now.

First year of the Wrangler. The engines are very reliable (258 inline 6 cyl), have good torque. The factory carburator is junk and problematic. There are fixes, but everything I read says just replace it. The 5 speed is a french made pugeot transmission and does not have a good reputation, but the 5 speed on my 87 is much smoother than the AX-5 that was in my '92 (go figure :roll: ). Other than that they are mostly the same as the 88-95. The sloped back rollbars only lasted until '91. I will be slowly building one I just bought and I'll look forward to seeing you building yours!

Customizing the Jeep, Painting Rims, etc

I loved my 87 and it was a 4 banger TBI and an AX5 transmission. AMC baby not CD and it was a great jeep. Old style roll bars gave it a good look. I think with the change out for a motorcraft 2150 carb and alot of love you will be very happy! tug

well it will be the third Jeep member of the family if we buy it so i know the territory i already have an XJ and a CJ-7 just looking to add to the family......what t-case is in the 87 and axles(just wondering for resale value i figure they are a dana 30 front and a 35 rear???) got two d44s going in it supposibly the transmission shifts good and smooth checking it out tonight

belly up skids

I believe the tcase is a np231 and I know that the axle are dana 30 front and dana 35 rear.

seeing that the YJ is an 87 with an NP 207 will it need a Slip Yoke Eliminator once we SOA it???

Back