Mexican AMC sixes

Junkpile

I was told about the big Mexican built sixes and started looking for info. Apparently the company that was building AMC cars for Mexico didn't use a V8, so they made up for it by putting alot more effort into the six cylinder engines. Here we had the 232 and the 258, they had a 252 and a 282. They were basically 232s and 258s with larger cylinder bores. The 282 was basically the same engine that many are building now by putting a 258 crankshaft in an overbored 4.0 block. Also the Mexican cylinder heads had bigger ports and valves and flow substantially more than the ones we had here. They had the equivalent of a stroked High Output 4.0 in the 70s!!

This is a result of our misguided emissions laws of the 70s. While we were producing black smoke belching, primitive emissions laden dogs... the mexicans were enjoying more efficient and powerful engines. I would be willing to bet that in a side by side comparison, running on the same grade of fuel, the mexican engine ran just as "clean" as the American versions.

Anyway, does anybody have any info on these engines? I have done a couple of web searches and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Specifically, did they use the same block as the American built engines?

Back