Manifold Destiny (opinions wanted)

90Xjay

Opinion question.
Just bought my first jeep , 90 XJ 4.0 came complete with cracked exhaust manifold. I knew this before I bought it and used it as a bargining point.
I am pretty capable and have a shop with air and all the tools.
My question is this.
I am ready to buy a replacement manifold, I would not consider buying one out of the wrecking yard ($60) because of the odds that it would crack also, and do not really want to deal with the Jeep dealer. I have under $200 to spend on manifold and gasket.
Some companies claim their motor flange is thicker, how can this work if the intake and exhaust share a retaining bolt/washer?
I do not want to really upgrade preformance, I just want a good manifold the first time so I won't have to do this job again. I would like stainless. Can some of you please chime in on what has worked or not worked for you?

Thanks

Have it professionally welded, chances are it will never crack again.

I´ve welded before, lasts typically another 2-3 years. TUG mentioned brazing, which when you think about it makes sense. If it´s large crack maybe a couple of spot welds, then braze the crack shut. Will probably last a good long time (brazing flexes better). The last replacement I bought, lasted 7 years, until it cracked. It had double the wall thickness of the original. I´m gonna braze (silver solder) the crack closed and use it again (small crack).
If you decide to weld, and there are many or large cracks, keep in mind that it may not sit straight after all the heat is applied, been there done that. But I was lucky the warpage was manageable.

If you have it professionally welded, preferably by somebody with manifold experience (boat manifold experience is ideal), it will never crack again, in the same spot. They will slowly heat the manifold in an oven before welding, and cool it properly, so it's done right.

Tennessee Turkey Trot Pics

Thanks guys, but I really don't have an option for a professional welding repair where I live. The only welding shop is ran by a retard mad-man who breaks half of everything you take to him and then cusses you out while he is running you out of his shop.
I will keep the old one though just in case I have the oportunity to have it fixed for a back up.

Make sure to check your motor mounts too, this caused mine to crack prematurely. The 4.0L mounts a famous for this and they are fairly inexpesive to replace( I replaced both of mine for under $50) :eek:

Site map poll

Thanks,
I will most definately check those mounts for play.
Savin, what route did you go with, replacement manifold or repair?
I am thinking hard on buying the stainless manifold the guy has on Ebay for around $130.00 with a lifetime warranty, still don't know for sure though.

CJ Dash Lights Question.

yes---mine also cracked from a weak mount-- so
replace the motor mounts or have them checked for play as mentioned above. I had to wait 2 weeks for my new manifold to get here from Ohio.
good luck--- Neal

Back