lifts

TJoffroad00

I am a newbie to the forum and i like it a lot but i have noticed one thing.Why do many on you advise against big lifts? I am planning on going 6 inches and 35's and i dont think of that as a huge lift.I say if you have the money and time throw a big Skyjacker 8" or more on.I love to see big Jeeps and dont care much for a spacer lift and 32's although i understand that most people are on a strict budget. I love big lifts and big tires and i advise anyone to get a 4 inch or higher lift.Just noticed many telling not to go so high. Not trying to flame on everyone just wondering what their reasons are.

Awesome forum though.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Welcome dude. to answer your question, i have heard that the rule of thumb is to go with the shortest possible lift/biggest tire combo. Reason being is that you dont want such a high center of gravity. Yea the jeep will look badass, but when your climbin and articulating, you would be more topheavy. The last thing is that... while this doesn't apply to those with coilover susp., the less arc in the leaf spring, the better the articulation. Either way, it depends on what kind of wheelin' you're gonna be doin with the jeep. About the spacer lift with 32's, im not the biggest fan either, but its not a bad idea because you get more tire clearance without lifting your whole 2500 pound beast up in the air 4".[addsig]

65 miles per hour on 35"s, on top of a big old 6" lift, plus a body lift would be like drivein a spinning top on the back of a rocking horse, or even worse. Not meaning to flame you either just would hate to read where you got killed on the freeway while looking really cool and falling hard from such a hight! Get that beast up in the air you will have a real eye popping, parade ride but you better be careful when driving anywhere with steep curve or side angles. Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thats the beauty of a Jeep, pull the top off and cruise at 50, and look badass while doing it ! I have driven a 6" wrangler YJ on 35s up to 70 on the freeway and its not too much of a problem.You just drive the way you should and its not a problem.Jeeps arent meant for speed anyways.As for me ill keep my big lifts and tires.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Why do many on you advise against big lifts? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

As already mentioned, center of gravity. Go ahead and do as you wish, against many people's advice, hopefully you won't learn the hard way
image-missing.png
Which is more important to you, looking cool, or staying as safe as possible
image-missing.png
[addsig]

A big lift is nice as long as it is set-up right. Also, are you going for show or off-road capability?? A Jeepers biggest pet-peeve is someone who puts thousands of $$ into their Jeep only to drive it down the street- A Jeep isn't complete without Mud and "Battle Wounds" from off-road excursions.
image-missing.png

I did the SOA on my Jeep along with 1 1/2" shackle lift for a total of almost 7" lift, the Jeep is a little top heavy- but remember, its not a sports car.. Just drive with smarts and you should be fine.. just keep in mind the much higher COG...

Other than that, its up to you, keep us posted on what you do..[addsig]

But what happens when your spacer lift has your axles dragging the ground and your 32s spinning in ruts? then the guys w/ the 35s are your best friend
image-missing.png
Sure it wont be to as stable on the road but even though im only sixteen i can handle my vehicle, seems like flipping it b/c of having that high center of gravity would be some of the drivers error not the Jeep
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> would be like drivein a spinning top on the back of a rocking horse, or even worse. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> OR WORSE
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
What the heck is worse than that? Good lord Tug, where you from, you sound like my dad and he's from North Carolina. That's great I gotta remember that one![addsig]

Well I tell you BigTlilODO I dont live in North Carolina but the trail behind my house goes there pretty quick. I live in East Tennessee just on the line to North Carolina! I bet if you got a Dad from NC your a pretty good ol boy, and you can think him for your good Jeep sence. Catch you later Tug
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Back to the new dude!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> im only sixteen </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> There is the problem![addsig]

I wasn't even talking about flipping the jeep on the street, i was talking about articulating off-road. On the street, yes it would probably be the driver whos fault it is that flips it. But what about when youre driving along steep grades and inclines and your monster jeep decides to hit the deck?? then the jeeps with the guys with the 32's are YOUR friends, pullin you back on your feet.

"even though im only sixteen i can handle my vehicle" - I don't know man a lot of 16 year olds think they can handle their vehicles, and half of them end up meeting telephone poles. Im not tryin to be all wise, i mean im only 18, but im not about to say i can "handle" the vehicle. Yea you may be a great driver or a safe one, but there are some things that dont have anything to do with your skills. There are plenty of crappy drivers out there.

I'd say the beauty of a jeep is rippin the top of and cruisin' at 3 mph and BEING badass while doing it!! Looks are for imports
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

As i said earlier i have wheeled in a wrangler on 35's before and neveronce have i come close to flipping. You just pick the right line and dont try something stupid.You may say well he cant get up that hill b/c of his high center of gravity but the guys w/ spacers cant get to that hill in the first place
image-missing.png
I know enough to not try something my Jeep cant do.And yes i am going for offroad capability.Sure it will look badass but i love to look in my rearview and see others that are struggling to get up a hill i just went right up w/ ease. For me ill take the increased ground clearance over the high center of gravity.And by the way as for getting the biggest possible tire for the least amount of lift, 6 inches and 35s is the biggest tire for that lift.Sure you can firt 35s on a 5 inch lift and knock off a fender when you flex but id rather not. And yes it wil have plenty of battle damage as it does from hunting this season alrady.And yea CTJeeper 3 mph is the greatest speed.Looks are for imports and the additions i am doing to my jeep are for function.[addsig]

Thanks Tug!

Hey TJ; bigger tires are good and all, and so is a lift. But there's more to making it up a hill than big tires and a lift. Gearing being one of them. You get that big of tire and don't change your gearing, you're gonna wreck your transmission or axles. Since you brought up your age, I just want to mention this and it's not meant to belittle you for your age it's meant as free advice. Call it "wise counsel and advice" When I was 16 I thought I could handle a friends road bike. Because I've been riding motorcycles before. But in '84 (yes I was 16 in '84) the new "crotch rockets" were really different. I ended up laying it down at over 95 mph. See, I didn't know, what I BELIEVED I knew. All I'm saying is please realize that we are giving you advice from what we've learned. I also know experienced, I mean guys who compete, rock crawlers who've rolled their jeeps on the highway. Due to tires blowing out, cars cutting them off and other things that weren't "drivers error". Also, where the heck is a 16 year old getting the money for that big of a lift? I'm jealous, I only want a 4" lift, at the most, and that's hard to save up for.

Keep on Jeepin![addsig]

To answer your comment i am planning on buying some 4.56 gears before i lift it. To where im getting the money i have saved up since i was little, i have been crazy about wranglers ever since i was a little kid, also it helps for asking for stuff for the Jeep for Christmas.[addsig]

hey tug I think he's dissin' you. Maybe he don't really want good advice.[addsig]

Or mabye I know what i am talking about and just wondered why some of you dont like big Jeeps.Mabye its an Alabama thing[addsig]

Yup! Your all of 16 all right! You should move out of the house and make your own way in the world while you still know everything! Why the comment about Alabama, is that where you live. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> mabye I know what i am talking about </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> or maybe not has my vote Tug[addsig]

Ya im from Bama and the comment on knowing what i am talking about was about Jeeps, not moving out on my own or any of that other crap you were trying to be a smartass about.I was just wanting an answer on why yall all want to drive around w/ stock springs, spacers and a bodylift. No need to be like you and be smartass about it and make yourself look stupid.[addsig]

Agreed, enough attitude. I like big Jeeps - as long as they are built correctly. Not a fan of big body lifts and alternative engineering, ie. this one Jeep I recently saw - huge lift - made possible by welding 6" sections of pipe to the shock, and more square tubing welded between the axles and springs. I've mentioned it before that if you can save a buck or two, go nuts. But - don't compromise saftey for a few $100 bucks. I think we all can enjoy our Jeeps a little more if we are alive.

PS - remember we all were young and not as educated nor experienced at one time...

nice dancing bananas - by the way
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

The reason super lifts are not popular is that they are much more expensive and a lot harder to get reliable performance out of.Most people running 35" tires use a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. Going over 4" with stock length arms really increases the down angle on the arms which has a increasingly negative effect on ride and handling so you really need to use a long arm kit which are generally about double the money. Also a 6" lift is going to create severe rear driveshaft angle problems which will need a high pinion rear axle assy[3000.00] to rectify.The rule of thumb about just using the minimum amount of lift required to clear your tires is a VERY GOOD rule if your into bad handling and snapping u-joints ignore it and go for it.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back