LCG lift

Tyler Bates

I read an article about An LCG lift "low center of Gravity " which involves no actual lift, but they were fitting 40 inch tires under a wrangler how the hell does that work?

To fit tires *that* large you'd have to do some sort of lift, but basically the concept of an LCG lift is that instead of putting on a taller suspension which is expensive, and creates problems with driveline angles, etc. not to mention it tends to make the Jeep less stable. Instead what you do is you modify your wheel wells either with aftermarket kits that raise the height of your fenders (you typically trim off part of your stock hood or replace the hood with an aftermarket unit that is already shorter on the sides to compensate) and enlarge the rear wheel wells by usually trimming with a sawzall or you can buy aftermarket rear sheetmetal that is already enlarged. I've seen TJ's run 35-38" tires on a 2" budget lift with this type of setup, but 40"+ would really be pushing it without more lift IMO.

Google lower 40 jeep and you'll see the one Mopar built. The flares are built into the hood and it has basically no up travel. I think it did have about a 2" lift.

That would make more sense with a little lift but the article said had no lift and I did not see anyway that would happen

You can do lots of things to keep a Jeep low and run larger tires. I'm 75% of the way through my LCG process. In the end, I'll be running my 37" while having a very low stance. I cannot tell exactly what the lift amount is because I am not sure what I would even measure to compare it to stock. I've been through many different suspensions.

Most recently the Jeep looked like this:
277570995_nFqwpM-1.jpg

That was a 6" long arm lift with 4.5" springs and ACOS spacers. Overall, it was likely near 7" taller than stock.
As the Jeep sits on the new "lift" now:
image-missing.png

This is a custom Link suspension (3 front trangulated 4 rear) stretched about 5". 16" travel coilovers in front, 14" travel coilovers in rear set for 25-30% uptravel 75-70% down travel, no body lift, Ultra tight clearances with the Tub, T-case, etc. The fenders are Hi-lined to allow the Jeep to sit low. Tub has been cut for boat sides, the T-case skid sits about 20" off the ground which is a half inch higher than the center of the hub.

There are lots of little things to finish, but it is coming along well. I'm thinking this is going to be about a 2.5-3" overall "lift" to run the 37" tires.

Back