Is this too much (or not enough) caster?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I went from 2.5 in Rough Country springs to some 4-in Rubicon Express springs, and lengthened both my front and rear upper control arms quite a bit during the install.

I found that my Jeep handles much better now. Steering is much more responsive. Previously. I could move the wheel left and right and the steering would be sluggish (i.e. several inches before the Jeep would actually turn. Now the Jeep seems to turn as soon as I move the wheel.

I suspect that lengthening the front upper control arms added quite a bit of caster, and that appears to be what my alignment sheet shows (4.3 degrees of caster if you can't read the sheet).

How do these numbers look to you guys? Is there a point where I'll get too much caster which would cause problems?

PXL_20240808_183104064.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I can't quite tell if my pinion angle looks good or not. I bought a digital angle finder that should be here soon.
PXL_20240808_223211072.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

03 TJ Factory Service Manual, here are the specs and tolerances:

Caster: 7.0 degrees +/- 1.0 degree
Cross caster: +/- 0.65 degrees
Camber: -0.25 degrees +/- 0.63 degrees
Cross camber: +/- 1.0 degrees
Total toe: +0.30 degrees (or +0.15 degrees per side) +/- 0.06 degrees
Thrust angle: +/- 0.25 degrees

More cow bell!
Think you may be ok.
Steers on highway ok and no axel noise??

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
If it is steering and tracking well, and there is no unusual tire wear, you may have it dialed in just right.

On my 2002 TJ, I have a Rubicon Express Long Arm lift of ~4". My steering seems to be a bit mushy. I need to find the time to take a closer look to see why. It has not been a problem, but I'd like to feel less mush.

Back