Hemi's

Swoopsd

I am going to start by saying that I am lacking in knowledge about vehicle mechanics. Electrician by trade. I currently own a 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I have done some minor Mods myself. Nothing extreme. Installed a 4" Skyjacker lift w/ new LT305/70R16 M/T Tires. New Volant Intake with expandable option for snorkel Kit, and changed the Front bumper for a winch at some point. I am not stupid to mechanics, I just never had the time or money to invest in it. So heres the kicker.

I have always wanted a jeep and to be able to go a little extreme with it. Up until now it hasnt been possible. But suddenly a friend of mine located a 1957 392cu-in Hemi. Its currently sitting on an engine stand and is in a sealed garage. Best part is it only has 56K miles on it supposedly. Bad part... Its been in a garage on a stand for 20 years.

I love working on things such as this. So a rebuild would be a definate. Rebuilding the engine I can def do. I can get new motor mounts made and installed by some friends of mine who are in the car welding business. So heres what I dont know.

A Stock rubicon comes with a NSG370 6-Speed Transmission. Does the Bell housing of the NSG370 match up to the Hemi's bolt pattern???? If it does Is there anything you guys would tell me that could be a major concern. If it doesnt, WHERE can I get an Adapter??? The internet is not helping me on this one. I really do not want to change out my Transmission or Transfer Case, because I love the ratio in the 6-Speed. 1st Gear is great for Crawling. I also do not want to take a classic engine like this and let it sit on the floor of my garage because I am to dumb to ask questions. I would love to be able to do this. I am not worried about losing features of the jeep to make room for the engine.

If anyone has seen this done or has any info PLEASE help me out. Like I said I am not the most literate mechanical person on the planet so you are aloud to talk dumb to me ;) But I can pick up on it pretty fast.

I know I am missing some information. Just ask I will try to get it for you guys.

Thanks again,
Swoops

Welcome to Jeepz.. The possibility of dropping a Hemi in your TJ is more feasible with the 3rd generation or modern Hemi engines from Chrysler since i've personnaly seen it done. The biggest issue with the 1st and 2nd generation Hemi is locating an adapter for the transmission. Since that 392 employs mostly manual and mechanical components you dont have very much electronics to bother with and thats the upside. Try calling Advance adapters to see what they say, maybe they can custom build you an adapter for it. The Newer Hemi's such as the 5.7 and 6.1 liter has 2 versions on the engine build. One is the MDS(Multiple displacement System) which you wouldn't want on your Jeep. The other version is a non MDS. It's only advantage is that the 4 Cyl. out of the 8 can be turned off by the PCM when the conditions and certain parameters has been met. The Non MDS 5.7 Hemi's are mostly found on the early 2003 Chrysler and Dodge lines. All the Dodge durango's has the MDS, some of the Dodge Ram's has it as well but only if it was ordered that way. The 2009 Dodge Challenger and Charger with the 6 speed transmission will NOT have the MDS..I hope this little bit of info. helps you.

Best bet is to contact AEV, while many people are performing the swap, they really were the pioneers and can answer pretty much any question you have, as well as supply the support and parts you need.

Hey thanks a lot. Any info is good info. Both sound like great places to start. I'll update in the future on how its going!

Talk to ya soon,
Swoops

Installing a high-zoot race engine sounds contradictory to the statement about enjoying the low crawl ratio of your current transmission. Do you know where at in the RPM range this Hemi produces the best torque? It may be fast, but can it motivate the jeep enough down low to justify the trouble and expense.

Are you required to have any emissions or safety testing done in your area? Most areas do, and federal law would likely prevent you from installing an engine older than the jeep. Many laws go an extra step and require the swapped engine to be from the same manufacturer or one offered in that model.

I'm all for an engine swap, but I think such a valuable engine would serve somebody much better than to replace a 4.0L.

Swoops-

Any smog Nazi issues in your area? If so there could be some problems. Usually the transplanted motor and the year of the vehicle need to at least be the same.

Any Idea where I would find that info out? I dont believe there are.. dont know for sure.

your local DMV will be able to help you, I know with my state I can search their website for rules and regs.

Back