Handguns

Several states now make it a felony if someone is injured by your weapon because you didn't lock it up.

Yeah but I'm talking about a step further than common sense safety, all my firearms are in a safe nearly all the time. I'm talking the gun is registered to you and you are the only person that may operate it and when you aren't actively operating no one else may have access to it. I read a case in England where a guy had a permitted gun but his 80 yr old mom knew the combi to the safe; she blew away an home invader (who was armed with a handgun) and her son went to jail because his gun was not properly secured

Several states now make it a felony if someone is injured by your weapon because you didn't lock it up. My dad started teaching me about guns and gun safety as far back as I can remember, probably 4 or 5 years old. That is the key, teach kids at a very early age, and teach them often about gun safety, then by the time they get old enough to own their own weapons, it is ingrained in them and will be like an instinctive response to always treat a gun safely.

Soo true . As well as it should be. Take responsibility for yourself , your Property, and those around you. Know where your weapons are at all times. Take reasonable care to protect yourself and others. It all starts when your just a young buck!

Yeah but I'm talking about a step further than common sense safety, all my firearms are in a safe nearly all the time. I'm talking the gun is registered to you and you are the only person that may operate it and when you aren't actively operating no one else may have access to it. I read a case in England where a guy had a permitted gun but his 80 yr old mom knew the combi to the safe; she blew away an home invader (who was armed with a handgun) and her son went to jail because his gun was not properly secured

Wrong yes, out of control laws yes, I'm so happy to hear is Mom is still alive though. That reminds me, I gotta get my wife to remember the combo to my safe. to date I'm the only one that knows and thats not good.

Last edited:
My wife knows how to shoot as well as I do. Her father taught her when she was young and she's not afraid to take a kick from a 12 gauge either :)

My wife knows how to shoot as well as I do. Her father taught her when she was young and she's not afraid to take a kick from a 12 gauge either :)

Ya its funny to see my wife at 125 lbs shootin the 12 gauge but her new excitement is the 30.06. I've had it for 10 years she only started shoottin that one a month ago

Shot my XD .40 today. What a sweet piece! Shot about 40 rounds through it with pretty impressive accuracy6 and not a single flaw. I'm real happy with it.

I'm surprised how accurate a .40 sub compact pistol with a 3.1" barrel can be. I never thought it would do as well as it did. I shot from 15 and 25 yards and it was very consistent at both distances.

Those of you who shoot the .40's, which ammo do you like? Those with the XD's, which do your guns like? I was shooting Winchester 180 grain FMJ target rounds, they burned pretty clean:
image-missing.png

For plinking I use the Winchester white box almost exclusively; for self defense I'm in love with the Hornady TAP line

Shot my XD .40 today. What a sweet piece! Shot about 40 rounds through it with pretty impressive accuracy6 and not a single flaw. I'm real happy with it.

I'm surprised how accurate a .40 sub compact pistol with a 3.1" barrel can be. I never thought it would do as well as it did. I shot from 15 and 25 yards and it was very consistent at both distances.

Those of you who shoot the .40's, which ammo do you like? Those with the XD's, which do your guns like? I was shooting Winchester 180 grain FMJ target rounds, they burned pretty clean:
image-missing.png

For target shooting I usually use about anything FMJ in 165 or 180 grain. American Eagle (made by federal) CCI Blazer Brass, Winchester White Box, Remington UMC, whatever is cheap.

For plinking I use the Winchester white box almost exclusively; for self defense I'm in love with the Hornady TAP line

I love the Hornady bullets. That's all I use when I reload. My home defense is the Horndady 110gr. XTP with the extra deep hollow point and the little "spike" in the middle. Gets extra stopping power, nice spread with very little penetration, and the lead spike becomes a molten projectile that will peirce through the thicker bones such as sternum, vertebrae, and cranium.

00335700-1.jpg

I have the 4 inch XD 40 and for plinking, I use the cheapest also, as long as it's a namebrand. Usually the Winchester since Wally World sales them pretty cheap. Mine has never had a hiccup, just avoid some of those other brands like Wolf which I believe is made in russia, nothing against russia, but even when you look at the rounds, I don't think they're brass. They can really dirty a pistol/rifle up. Well, the freakin gun show was in town again today and I bought a Mini14, really cool and I have always wanted one. This one is very similar if not exactly like the ones that the A-Team had. I have been trying to research it, with no luck. I guess I will keep looking.

Here is the newest additon to the family. I can't wait to shoot it.

Attachments

• DSC00804.JPG
    DSC00804.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC00805.JPG
    DSC00805.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 178
The wolf ammo sucks. I have neevr fired ammo that made me, my gun, and holster smell so bad. It took a good solid two hours to get that funky smell out of my Glock. My holster smelled for weeks, and it was so bad my wife could smell it on me when i came home. I had to dead rounds in the same box too. I am totally sworn off wolf ammo.

I'll probably stick with winchester for targets. They did well and alot of you seem to like them too. I'd like to get some JHP's for when I carry, so I'll check out Hornady.

ANybody have and stuff for the accessory rails? Those lights look pretty nice. Are those lasers worth the money? Will they hold their positioning after the gun has been shot? I don't know if I want to spend the money on one but they look really cool and I'm just curious really.

Wow... 14 pages :shock:

I have several boxes of the American Eagle ammo and haven't had any problems with target shooting. Somebody mentioned bone penetration with the Hornady's...just for your info the AE ammo will punch perfect holes in 3/8 steel plate. I have a homemade steel swinging target for my .22 and fired at it once with the XD .40 at 20 yds. It swung around probably 5 times then I noticed the hole and didn't shoot again. Didn't want to tear up my target too bad.

The wolf ammo sucks. I have neevr fired ammo that made me, my gun, and holster smell so bad. It took a good solid two hours to get that funky smell out of my Glock. My holster smelled for weeks, and it was so bad my wife could smell it on me when i came home. I had to dead rounds in the same box too. I am totally sworn off wolf ammo.

yup!:)

I have a laser for mine, but never use it. It's fun to take to the range when other guys want to shoot the pistol but other than that, it's not functional. I only have one because a guy was hard up at a gun show and sold it to me for 60 bucks. Like I said, it's mostly a novelty so I wouldn't invest alot of money on it. Now, the light is worth the money if you plan on shooting at night. If I had a choice, I would definitely buy the light before the laser.

I've got a laser sight on my BB pistol. So much easier to catch the neighbor's cats on the run with that!:D

Back