Did i get lucky?

Gsx31337

Hey, my first time to post on here so hope I'm doing it right. Today while driving through a trail I saw something tossed into the bushes on the side of the rode looked like an axle. Sure enough got out and it looked to be in good shape other then the left side drum brake assembly was smashed pretty good. Next to it where what appear to be 2 stock jeep control arms. After flipping it over I came to the conclusion that it was a Dana 35, which just happens to be what im currently running in my 01 TJ. I know the 35's have a rep for blowing up with big tires and or lockers, so I was thinking about keeping the shafts for spars. But then I began to wonder if it was worth anything. Would anybody have any idea what one of these would be worth? I have no idea what kind of gears are in it just assuming the internals are working ok. On one side the drum is beyond repair but the other one looks fine, along with no bent studs and when I flipped it over fluid poured out of the pumpkin so I don’t think it should be to rusty inside, and the outside is virtually rust free. Bottom line Did I waste the 20 min it took me to get this thing home? Or is it worth keeping/selling?

Ps not sure if it will show my stats but... 4.0L 01 black TJ 3 inch terraflex lift 32'goodyear MTR's bushwacker fender flares rancho 9000 shocks, warn bumper and 9500 wench, cold air, and a few other goodies.

Yes, you got lucky. It may be hard to identify if it's bent or if the shaft is bent. It makes it worth less because you don't really know anything about it. Used they go for anywhere from dirt cheap to a couple hundred bucks. It depends what it fits and what's inside of it. Now if it has factory limited slip and came out of a 4cyl TJ, you may have a couple hundred variety. Is it set up for leaf spring or coils?

its set up for coils..... the control arms laying on the ground where stock, right now im not at a place where many of the drivers have any experence. I live in CO and have been hitting up the moutians for years but I found this in IN. The last 2 times ive been in this spot of pulled jeeps off of logs out of lakes ect, nobody knows how to drive. so dosnt supprize me to just find it laying there. just to bad its not a 44 then I would swap it with my current 35..... any idea of how to check what it belonged to or gear ratio is in it ect?

it might have a tag on the diff cover... If you can read the #'s off it we could tell you what you have. If not, see if you can read the #'s stamped into the diff cover (should be near a triangle with the Dana logo).

Heck, if nothing else you scored some spare parts. Since it has control arms, I would bet it is for a TJ like yours. Were the control arms the same as your TJ?

Ya when i get home ill try and get some #'s off of it. My jeeps not stock and hasnt been for a wile but look like jeep control arms to me. Ill put them next to my nephews jeep tonight. almost positive its from a 97+ TJ though.

Sounds like someone did a trailside axle swap. Meaning that this one left them stranded. Is the axle shaft on the damaged side missing or loose? If the c-clip on that side broke then the wheel could have come off and damaged the brakes as the Jeep dragged the ground.
If nothing else, you got some spare parts for your effort.

From what I can tell nothing besides the break assembly is bent or broken .. dosnt mean its not though. The thing that confuses me is it was at the end/start of the trail, tow truck could have eazly gotten to where I found it.

some jackass may have just dumped it, and the brakes took the brunt of the toss.

Have you yanked the axleshafts out yet?

Back