Computer bypass 2100 changeout

Ok boys, just when you thought you got rid of me, I'm setting the carb. Here is what I think to be true. Correct if wrong, i have my vac gauge hooked up and at idle I am pulling a 17. I should be able to richen the fuel mix(turn counter clockwise) both equally until I get the highest vacuum reading then go back in 1/4 turn? (lean her up. Whatcha think?

I'm not sure I like having one of the longest threads based upon my "f" ups. Ha ha. Let try to hit 350.

Yep. Make sure both screws are in sync first

Update!! Started out fuel mix at 2 full turns out and was reading 18 on the gauge

Went to
2 3/4 full turns out was 18.5 vac
3 full turns out was 18.75 vac
3.25 full turns out was 19.00 vac
3.5 full turns out was 19.00 vac
I put her back 1/4 and she currently sits at 3.25 full turns out with 19.0 vac. Still bogs down. I only stopped making it rich cause I have no idea how long those screws are and have nothing to compare it to. Ur thoughts? Not sure what's too much out or not.

try making it lean. i thought the instructions were to go as lean as you could until the vacuum gauge dropped and then back it up 1/4 turn. 3.5 turns out is a whole lotta gas at idle.

when does it bog, as soon as you hit the gas?

I'd leave the mixture screws as is for now. What's the idle speed ?

Bout 800rpm. I am confused now. I'm reading a motorcraft 2100 write up and it says to lean out mixture (screws in) until it runs rough at idle then back out 1/8 of a turn till it idles smooth and that will be the beat lean mixture. That's the complete opposite as what I'm doing.

superj said:
try making it lean. i thought the instructions were to go as lean as you could until the vacuum gauge dropped and then back it up 1/4 turn. 3.5 turns out is a whole lotta gas at idle.

when does it bog, as soon as you hit the gas?

Yes. If you are real real slow to throttle, she alright. But if you need to cross an intersection, you would probably stall.

I'm pretty sure the idle mixture is not causing the bog problem. Once you hit the gas your not on the idle circuit. I'm thinking accelerator pump adjustment. I never used a vacuum gauge to set the mixture, I just go by ear. So I'll let superj handle this one.

did you tune the timing with the vacuum gauge too? or just set it at 8 and then do the mixture screws?

i tried both and am now at 10 in idle (ported vacuum) and leaned out with the vacuum holding at a hair over 20" on this terrible weber 34. no hesitation or anything and starts right up, even when cold.

thats true though, what accelerator pump is in your carb? i know they have different ones in the motorcrafts and the wrong one can make you bog on the jump. timing will too though

just got in. So you got it going, awsome. Having trouble setting the carb? Are you sure its the carb?? at idle, can you rev the motor up and hold it there for a few secs and it run smooth, no misses? we want to make sure your timing is set real good before you start adjusting the carb. Carb is last thing to adjust after everything else is set.

superj said:
did you tune the timing with the vacuum gauge too? or just set it at 8 and then do the mixture screws?

i tried both and am now at 10 in idle (ported vacuum) and leaned out with the vacuum holding at a hair over 20" on this terrible weber 34. no hesitation or anything and starts right up, even when cold.

Times with timing light. She is set at 10* sounded like she wanted to run better higher but didn't want to push it. You want me to set timing by vac or leave it and get mixture right?

superj said:
thats true though, what accelerator pump is in your carb? i know they have different ones in the motorcrafts and the wrong one can make you bog on the jump. timing will too though

I haven't graduated to accelerator pump class. I don't even know what or where the accelerator pump is. One mistake then learn at a time. Ha ha

69jeepcj said:
just got in. So you got it going, awsome. Having trouble setting the carb? Are you sure its the carb?? at idle, can you rev the motor up and hold it there for a few secs and it run smooth, no misses? we want to make sure your timing is set real good before you start adjusting the carb. Carb is last thing to adjust after everything else is set.

Once I got the distrib in the right spot, she fired right up. Yes, hold throttle and she purrs. No misses. Smooth

Thats good, are you around 1500- 2000 rpms when you do that? Im asking because incorrect timing will show itself holding throttle at a higher rpm.

Ok, I wondering a few things here but lets play with the carb first for a while. You have changed things from the factory settings with the HO dist, and a dif carb. My carb mixture setting are subposed to be 2 1/2 turns out, they are at 3/4 turn out, and my vac is only 13-14". Right now I would run the screws all the way in and bring it one turn out and start it, rev it up, rev it and hold it, if it seems ok take if for a quick spin. Dont worry about the vac reading if its low right now. We have to start somewhere and work our way up. throw the factory spec out the window. If it wont start at one turn out, turn it 1/4 turn more until it does start.

havent heard from him for about 45 minutes. IDK
HEy 808 do know if his carb has a sight hole for the float level like holleys do?

Back