Cherokee Problem

Hi terry, i have a jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 my problem is i cant figure out whats wrong with the jeep it wont turn on,i just put on a brand new module and coil,tune-up and new starter and alternator and brand new optima battery once i put brand new battery it crank up sevetral times and now turn key nothing turns on not even radio,so can you help me please im clueless in texas,mechanic who put this on for me said there safety switch on transmission and had to move gear shift little bit back and forth then turn key and it start but tried that and nothing,i dont know what to do.please help.surfbandit!!!

Izzy,
Just so that I understand, with a new battery in it, you cant' get any electronics to work? If turning the key to the ignition setting doesn't get the radio to come on, my first guess would be a bad ignition switch.

By the way-
I've moved your post to the Cherokee section.

First thing is the year of your XJ. Second is you'll likely need some sort of volt meter to test anything, they are really not that expensive.

I usually use something like this for quick testing, accurate enough, idiot proof. Can be used on automotive or for household stuff.
Something with a digital display so you can can get fairly accurate volt readings is recommended.
This is just an example
Google Image Result for http://www.sercal-testequipmentsales.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sercalelectron/images/fluke-t50-voltage-continuity-tester-gs38--7-p.jpg

This is basically what I use.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4934200

Last edited:
I agree, a volt meter or a test lamp at least would help in diagnosing the power and grounds. I would start at the source of power and trace it through where the next point of contact is. Also make sure the fuses and fusible links are good.

If you got plenty of amperage with a new battery, especially an Optima, but you still aint gettin any power to any of your instruments or anything else with the key turned on then it sounds like a bad ignition switch. Check with a test light or voltage meter and if it is the ignition switch then it's an easy fix: )

Hey guys, thanks for all your info and feedback concerning my jeep problem,it helps to have people like you all on website and get answers for you all,i kindly appreciated very much,i try a volt meter and track the problem,wish me luck lol. Thanks!!!! Surfbandit:d izzy

I missed the year in your header (89 I 'm guessing), I have to blame my glasses and old age LOL.
If you have a volt meter, I can likely talk you through what I'd do in a similiar situation. I'm pretty good with Renix electrical, (XJ's 87-90).
Could be the ignition switch, more likely a fusible link (power to the switch) and whatever caused the fusible link to burn through. May be as simple as the clamp at the battery poles making iffy contact.
One of the brown wires coming out of the ignition switch (halfway down the steering column) (not to be confused with the tumbler where you put the key in) is often the first to get crispy, same wire that supplies the heater fan circuit and other stuff.
If you can tell us exactly what works and what doesn't this can help narrow down which sub system is screwed up.

Last edited:

where are you at?

hey man, put your keey in and hold it in the start position. while doing this, put your foot on the brake and shift the lever a bit forward and back or into neutral and back. you'll feel it when you hit the spot and it will try to crank. once you find the spot, hold it steady while you keep turning the key and it will start. just means you have to either adjust your safety switch or clean it. mine does it every once in a while and out liberty only starts while doing this so i am totally aware of your issue.

push brake
turn and hold key in start position
move shift lever to swwet spot
let go of key once it starts

I had the same problem before and it ended up being the neutral safety switch on the trans. I am told that it is pretty common for these.

Hi terry, i have a jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 my problem is i cant figure out whats wrong with the jeep it wont turn on,i just put on a brand new module and coil,tune-up and new starter and alternator and brand new optima battery once i put brand new battery it crank up sevetral times and now turn key nothing turns on not even radio,so can you help me please im clueless in texas,mechanic who put this on for me said there safety switch on transmission and had to move gear shift little bit back and forth then turn key and it start but tried that and nothing,i dont know what to do.please help.surfbandit!!!
Thinking we may have multiple issues here.
You said "now turn key nothing turns on not even radio" Nothing means nothing, not even the headlights????
There are fusible links (fuses) hooked up near the starter relay, the starter relay is the silver box near the battery. A good place to start looking. Best guess is you may have dirty or loose battery clamps, a failed fusible link or possibly a bad ignition switch. I tend to check the easy stuff first.
On the same starter relay (silver box near the battery), There are four wires on the 87 (five on the 88-90) Red wire is main power and if memory serves me correct it is marked (BAT) right next to the connector (threaded with nut). The dark green wire is usually the starter solenoid wire and is usually marked "S" next to the connector pole ( a spade connector). The green wire is from the ignition switch and is usually marked "I", the last wire is the neutral safety switch wire and is usually marked "G" likely black with a white strip.
The "G" stands for ground, all the neutral safety switch does is ground the starter relay so it can work. Easy test is to dsiconnect the black wire with the white strip and test it for continuity with an ohm meter (through the neutral safety switch, with the shifter in "P" and "N"). Then go to the pole "G" with the wire disconnected and test for power when somebody turns the ignition (key) to start.
There may be some differences in the markings on the face of the starter relay, different manufacturers sometimes mark them a little differently. The wire colors may also be off, 87 is a one off year and some of the wiring (and wire colors) are unique to that year. If the colors I gave you don't match up get back to me, I have an 87 harness and starter relay in my junk someplace and I can dig it out and look if need be.
Which fusible link goes to which sub system I've never been able to figure out. I know one is exclusive to the ignition switch and supplies most of the power to the switch. I usually test them all with a volt meter.

Last edited:
Back