Bad day or is it just me?

josue estrada

alright guys. ive been posting on here for a while and i can't seem to get a break. I fixed all the problems that i had previously had with the jeep and my service engine light still is on. i did the diagnostic test and it showed up at number 25, meaning a shortened condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits. Now I am not familiar with this problem nor had i seen anything wrong until today when i fixed my exhaust leak. Once i fixed the exhaust leak and changed the temperature sensor this occured. My jeep has a bad time starting now and i have to press on the gas a bit to get it going. I am supposed to go on a 2 hr drive this friday. Would it be a bad idea? and how easy would this be to fix? i am not even sure where to start.

josue estrada said:
alright guys. ive been posting on here for a while and i can't seem to get a break. I fixed all the problems that i had previously had with the jeep and my service engine light still is on. i did the diagnostic test and it showed up at number 25, meaning a shortened condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits. Now I am not familiar with this problem nor had i seen anything wrong until today when i fixed my exhaust leak. Once i fixed the exhaust leak and changed the temperature sensor this occured. My jeep has a bad time starting now and i have to press on the gas a bit to get it going. I am supposed to go on a 2 hr drive this friday. Would it be a bad idea? and how easy would this be to fix? i am not even sure where to start.

Maybe it idle air control valve is bad? I replaced mine for 49 bucks at autozone. But I drive a tj and don't know if there is a price difference

Ya, an IAC motor is pretty cheap, might be worth the try, if it doesn't fix it, just return it.

I also have the same issue starting my 94 YJ, I have no engine light, and I have chased my issue down to a huge vacumn leak

jps4jeep said:
Ya, an IAC motor is pretty cheap, might be worth the try, if it doesn't fix it, just return it.

I also have the same issue starting my 94 YJ, I have no engine light, and I have chased my issue down to a huge vacumn leak

Autozone won't refund sensors but all u have to tell them is that Ur not happy with the quality of the product and they will be forced to take it back

man, i know how you feel. i have had a bad few months.

new director wants me out of my supervisor position, i can;t return to my previous quality control job, pay cut to what she wants to demote me to is 10 bucks an hour less then what i make now.

work life is pretty tough right now.

i would check you idle air controller and make sure its not an adjustable one and if it is, make sure its set properly. get a multimeter and check it

damn superj. sounds like life is rough right now. I'm having financial issues myself. All we can do is keep hoping things turn around one day.
Im gonna buy a IAC valve and see where we go from there. Hopefully this will eliminate that service engine light that has been haunting me for a long while now.

on the throttle body housing. if you follow the air intake hose to the top of the engine, it clamps to the throttle body. there will only be one set of wires going to that throttle body, that will be your idle air control motor.

you can actually pull it off and clean it carefully and see if that helps. my 93 grand cherokee had a dirty iac and it had idle issues from it.

it will be ok, on the work stuff. just bothering me because i have 10 years service and never had an issue and we get a new lady in charge and she doesn't look into anything anyone has done and just makes her opinions and wants people moved. i will just go to the commander if i keep having trouble, or the senior civilian person under the commander if the colonel is busy

ok. where is the IAC located?
It's on the driver's side of the throttle body. Before buying a new IAC solenoid, consider removing the throttle body and all the sensors attached, then give the throttle body a good bench cleaning with carb cleaner and a tooth brush. Clean the IAC housing real good, it's attached to the driver's side of the throttle body with 4 tamper-proof torx bolts.

ok. replaced the IAC valve and absolutely nothing new happened.... the service engine light is still flashing number 25 on the diagnostic test. What happens is that i have to keep the keys to ignition while accelerating and releasing the cluth so that it gives it a bit of gas and then the car will start. it wont start on its own. and then it takes a bit of hesitation before it starts. also i get very rich gasoline smell out of the exhaust pipe and i get tons of smoke coming out. any more help guys?

josue estrada said:
ok. replaced the IAC valve and absolutely nothing new happened.... the service engine light is still flashing number 25 on the diagnostic test. What happens is that i have to keep the keys to ignition while accelerating and releasing the cluth so that it gives it a bit of gas and then the car will start. it wont start on its own. and then it takes a bit of hesitation before it starts. also i get very rich gasoline smell out of the exhaust pipe and i get tons of smoke coming out. any more help guys?

Have u checked Ur fuel pressure? If not check and see what the readings are

is your timing correct? maybe your timing is retarded a bit?

have you done hte spray method and searched for a vacuum leak

Alldata shows the code to 25 to be for the IAC motor. Could you have pinched a wire going to it doing other work ? Also is there any corrosion on the connector ?

no corrosion. im not sure how to do the vacuum leak check. I find it funny that i have to hold the key to ignition while trying to push down on the accelerator in order for it to get going. I dont know where to go from here except to check for vacuum leaks. so how do i do that?

i have a feeling i will be hunting this down till winter. and that i do not want because it is already beginning to get cold

when i started the jeep after replacing the IAC it squealed for about 5 seconds. and then the squealing stopped.

josue estrada said:
no corrosion. im not sure how to do the vacuum leak check. I find it funny that i have to hold the key to ignition while trying to push down on the accelerator in order for it to get going. I dont know where to go from here except to check for vacuum leaks. so how do i do that?

It seems like Ur not getting gas if Ur holding the accelerator down I may be mistaken but if its fuel injection holding the accelerator does nothing but let more air in. The fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel going into the chamber

i recently cleaned the fuel injectors, so i dont believe they should be causing an issue. after that i replaced the coolant temperature sensor because the jeep randomly started to heat up. that fixed that issue and the second i installed that part the jeep wouldnt turn on anymore and it rang 25. Everything happened the second i would fix one problem. Can it be maybe an oxygen sensor? even though its still ringing 25? i checked for any vacuum leak but cannot seem to find one. i pretty much have to push the accelerator all the way till it touches the floor while holding the key to ignite. and then after a bit of hesitation it starts with a whining noise that goes away. I drove it today and it idled real bad. felt like it wanted to die when on a red light. never shut on me though. it idles so bad though it makes the damn jeep shake sometimes

josue estrada said:
i recently cleaned the fuel injectors, so i dont believe they should be causing an issue. after that i replaced the coolant temperature sensor because the jeep randomly started to heat up. that fixed that issue and the second i installed that part the jeep wouldnt turn on anymore and it rang 25. Everything happened the second i would fix one problem. Can it be maybe an oxygen sensor? even though its still ringing 25? i checked for any vacuum leak but cannot seem to find one. i pretty much have to push the accelerator all the way till it touches the floor while holding the key to ignite. and then after a bit of hesitation it starts with a whining noise that goes away. I drove it today and it idled real bad. felt like it wanted to die when on a red light. never shut on me though. it idles so bad though it makes the damn jeep shake sometimes
All the injectors do is open when the computer tells it to open and the fuel pressure pushes gas through em if u have low pressure then u won't get much fuel when the injectors open up

Back