Any cheap way to get longer brake lines on my TJ?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I remember hearing that I could put YJ rubber brake lines on my 2005 TJ and get a couple extra inches out of them - any truth to that?

I ask because I was wheeling last weekend, and was flexing on poser rock - I stretched my brake lines to the max - another inch and I'd have lost my brakes :shock:

Is something like a limiting strap more appropriate? I've only got 2 inches of lift.

For some reason, cheap and brakes just dont sound right to me. You did mean inexpensive, right? Seriously, let me know what you find out on this, Terry.

Welcome Back. how was ye'r 4wheeli'n?. i don't know about the swap on the YJ to TJ Brake hose but a limiting strap would always be a great idea just in case . i've seen those TJ on the Rocks where the rear axle is at full articulation and the shock absorber break off because there wasn't anything there to help the axle not to over extend itself it eventually ripped the brake hose off.

I'm thinking limiting straps too - as a real solution, but I'd still like some new brake lines.

Itchee - The stock rubber hoses are a little on the short side for my taste - I could get some fancy custom longer lines, but they tend to be expensive. I've heard that the brake lines from a 95 YJ are the same as TJ lines, just slightly longer. I'm going to pick up some today and see if they fit

Mikey - The offroading was awesome - I'll post up some photos later today

I was just messing with you, Terry. I feel your pain. I have to be on the cheap with my slight build that I am doing, too.

I wouldn't go cheap here gents, with longer brakes line cheap or expensive there longer and there out there to get caught on any passing branch or other road obstacle.
Better to bite the bullet and put on stainless steel lines that will stand up to the abuse. is 80-124$ worth the peace of mind of stopping at the edge of the cliff?

I guess cheap was the wrong choice of words.. I'm just looking to put OEM YJ brake lines on my TJ.

Also, aren't most stainless steel brake lines not DOT approved?

'95 YJ front lines are cheaper and longer. I use them on XJ's and MJ's as well.

Mid 90s half ton chevy brake hoses are also a good, inexpensive swap. They are a little longer than the yjs, the 95 yj lines are a good swap though, that is what I am running on my xj.

If you are talking about the front, you can also route your existing lines inside the frame (at least you can on a YJ; not sure on a TJ) and this will give you a couple more inches. if it is the rear (and I think this is what you are talking about) I would go SS or limiting strap (or both).

Attachments

• p42135c.jpg
    p42135c.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 508
i have those on... Have not had any issues. I am actually happy I got them, because the crappy mechanic I was using left the hardline extensions when i got these installed, and the sway bar was rubbing on the driver side. If i would have had regular lines, they would have teared most likely, but the SS held up just fine (only the plastic cover was teared). Needless to say, i fixed this problem already!

YJ lines are just fine.
They are bent slightly different at the caliper end, but it's no problem to bend that hard line end slightly (carefully) to work.

Stainless lines are also good, and may or may not be cheaper, depending on where you buy.
Some are DOT approved, while some are not.
Of course, I'd go with the DOT versions.

If you have enough travel and/or lift, you'd really want to run the longer lines, as opposed to limit strapping the suspension. If the brakelines are the only limiting factor in the equation, you're only giving up good usable suspension travel by limit strapping.

Limit strapping has it's place on some rigs, but retaining stock brakelines on a lifted jeep isn't one of the criteria I'd be looking at...8)

Here's a pic of one of our rigs:
image-missing.png

Longer brakelines are definitely required to get this much droop.
The length of your shocks is generally the determining factor as to whether you need brakelines or not.
If your shocks are long enough to outdroop your brakelines (at full droop with the tires turned) just get new brakelines.

Dirk, where you been hiding since May '05?

Have you considered any posts in the Vendor's forum? A lot of guys around here (XJ owners especially) rave about your products and lift packages.

Have you considered any posts in the Vendor's forum? A lot of guys around here (XJ owners especially) rave about your products and lift packages.

I just saw that jeep for sale over on The Midwest Jeepthing .

Yeah? I know he's been trying to sell it.
I think he's still trying to sell his big TJ too.
The red jeep is really sweet. His big black TJ is a monster!

Good question!
I was scrolling through my bookmarks and saw this forum. It has been a long time. Been way too busy the last few years to spend as much time as I'd like on-line. We're in the slow season right now, so I had some extra time.
Maybe I need to check that out- I know a bunch of our prices are gonna have to go up soon enough, so maybe I can post some deals...

Back