aluminum wrangler

Utah_jeepster

Super Moderator
Fiat CEO hints the Jeep Wrangler may boast an aluminum unibody in 2017

By Peter Braun | May 9th, 2014 10:00 AM

After the Bataan Death March of information that was the 11-hour-long FCA Investor Day - otherwise known as Chryslerpalooza - the automotive world is still trying to digest what it all means. But at least one interesting tidbit hasn't gotten lost: 2017 might see the arrival of an aluminum Jeep Wrangler.

Fiat/Chrysler CEO and godfather Sergio Marchionne hinted at the possibility when he was asked about the company’s future use of aluminum. A reporter for Automotive News asked Marchionne whether he could think of a better use for aluminum than on the Wrangler. *Sergio responded simply: "No.";

According to*Road & Track, this interchange took place after Marchionne had already discussed the use of aluminum on the Ram. Specifically, he said that while Ram has the capability of building an aluminum-bodied truck, the engineering team doesn't think it is the best use of the material.

These statements, when taken together, lead us to think that the Wrangler might well be getting an aluminum body or even a aluminum unibody when it is redesigned in 2017. It makes sense, too. Like every automaker, Fiat/Chrysler is fighting to get its fuel standards up to meet the CAFE regulations. Keeping the weight on a vehicle like Wrangler down could go a long way in that direction.

Aluminum also has advantages for off road vehicles, as Land Rover has demonstrated. An aluminum body helps keep the center of gravity low, preventing the truck from rolling, and unlike steel aluminum wont rust or corrode no matter how much you mistreat it. And while it may not be as strong as steel, riveted aluminum body panels are incredibly easy to replace.

I would feel more confident in saying that the next Wrangler will be aluminum if it made less sense. After all this is Chrysler we are talking about, and that company’s design making is to put it nicely … confusing.*

Read more:*http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/jeep-wrangler-may-going-aluminum-2017/#ixzz31F4HhGBl*

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't have a strong feeling about an aluminium body, but I would not be a fan of a unibody Wrangler.

Aluminum body won't bother me except that I won't be able to put any magnets on the back. Watching my wife try to put my daughters school magnet on the back of our Land Rover was hilarious. Place magnet on back...drop...pick up...place magnet...drop...repeat a couple more times. "Why won't it stick?" :lol:

An earlier report indicates Jeep engineers will find other ways to shed pounds such as replacing the full-size spare with a smaller space-saver unit likely located under the vehicle.

The fold-down windshield that has characterized the Wrangler for decades will likely be scrapped in order to make the off-roader both safer and simpler to build. Rumors claim convenience-minded buyers will be able to order the Wrangler with a power-retractable soft top at an extra cost, and the upcoming model will boast a more comfortable ride thanks to a thoroughly revised frame.

Jeep CEO Mike Manley previously explained redesigning the Wrangler is a tedious process.

"We're already in an environment where it's a challenge to produce a vehicle in that way, and it's going to get harder," said Manley in an interview late last year. "What I can tell you is that the vehicle is absolutely fundamental to our DNA, and it's going to become progressively harder to make sure that the vehicle meets all of the standards that are required for it."

Read more: Next-gen Jeep Wrangler to go aluminum? | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

A space saver spare mounted underneath? :shock: That will take some getting used to. I love that Jeep's have fold down windshields but I'm willing to bet that 98% of Wrangler owners have never folded it down. Me included. I can live with that going away. It's the "thoroughly revised frame" that's got me worried.

Thank you for a great write up ! I'm with Terry Mason and Southtj in as far as uni-body. Although I drive a cherokee and have finally gotten use to the concept of a " no chassis " jeep , I would not like to see the last " real jeep " be depreciated for lack of strength . Took some time , but getting use to no chassis. I felt good about driving a solid vehicle such as my former '78 jeep cherokee S - series with a solid frame . Even my old '78 Chevy blazer ( non jeep ) with its sturdy frame could not be doubted as formidable either. Unibody has its pro's as pointed out by Utah_jeepster and are fairly , at best , rigid off- road , but not without frame connectors as pointed out many times in print. Even the '67-69 Camaro and firebird needed body strengthening performance-wise (I.e. , quarter mile & road course) with their " H " frame semi-chassis . That alone would sadden me. To think that this is the direction that government mandate takes the iconic jeep is not fathomable to me and most likely to many. I realize that fuel economy dictates future builds industry-wise and the consumer is all too aware that jeeps and SUVs in general are not well known for fuel economy , but I , and most , sacrifice $ to know our jeep is STRONG.
The chassis on the Wrangler MUST remain . If Chrysler is not willing to at least let bygones be, with the cherokee already in production ( and selling , we see them often now) and is of unibody construction , and still produce the Wrangler in full chassis design , then this is just too sad to think of. I suppose the aluminum body will have its pro's as previously posted and much appreciated for this advantages and to most will probably go unnoticed in terms of originality as far as the jeep is concerned. The hard core JEEPER will want blood over this but after market will profit ten fold , if a chassis were kept. I am reminded of the advantage of aluminum every time I see this old timer drive his '50's or '60's series Land Rover in my home town . " just keeps on going " ! ( guess that Grecian formula still going too , huh ?) got to respect how a tried and true warrior as the rover lasts if taken well care of too . High resale value to boot. If the body of the wrangler is made aluminum , the after market may suffer , so we ought to hear their opinion as well . Body replacement panels is big business , jeeps contributed to this over the years , we know. So they will make steel tubs , no problem . The hard core JEEPER will get their steel body , at a cost. BUT KEEP THE STEEL CHASSIS ! This I feel is pertinent to the jeep as the off - roader will attest the strength is vital. I don't think the consumer will be happy finding out that some day their uni- wrangler is starting to cave like a soda can if taken off - road regular . Perhaps I am overly underestimating the unibody as the XJ and ZJ hold their own but I still do not want to see the demise of the full chassis Wrangler . To me , it is the last real jeep we have left. Save the Wrangler , buy a jeep today ought to be a new slogan. I love my cherokee but still like knowing that you can get a steel chassis if you want . The aluminum body can stay ? Your opinion.

Last edited:

I love my Cherokee too . And my Comanche . But my Wranglers are my pride and joy .

Back