86 cj 7 360 swap

86cj7amc360

Hello I have a 86 cj7 with a 4.2 and want to put in a amc 360 from a 1977 wagoneer. Can i use the motor mounts from the wagoneer or just what all is needed. THANKS

Also my cj has a auto trans 3 speed not for sure what one yet. the wagoneer all so has a th 400 with the quadartrack system. Should I use the th 400 trans also.

I am pretty sure you'll need new motor mounts going from the I6 to the V8. I'd suggest taking the V8 and leaving the rest.

I have a 79 qtrac CJ and this drivetrain design is just different than the rest, making it difficult to swap parts. The trans, case, and axles are all odd so swapping one means swapping the others. I believe the quadratrac-paired TH400 has a different output shaft than all the other TH400s out there, so finding a transfer case besides the qtrac to bolt up to it will be an issue. If you swap in the trans and the qtrac case, then you are going to need to swap the rear axle as well b/c the quadratrac's rear output has a passenger side offset.

Thanks for the info iam hoping to just change engine mounts and drop in the 360. Maybe have to buy a trans adptor once i find out what trans is in it. Do you any idea about the wire harness? what needs to be changed. Also do you know if the v8 motor mounts will bolt in to the frame?. Thanks again Chad

You won't need an adapter for your transmission. You should be able to order the motor mounts from Quadratec or one of the others. They should bolt right in.

Back