2005 wrangler unlimited

mtetreault1116

I recently changed my front pads and rotors, and noticed when i apply a good amount of pressure my jeep pulls to the left, i checked to make sure i installed them correctly and i did. any ideas?

Welcome to Jeepz.. You tested this on different road surfaces and crown?

Did you clean the new rotors before you put them on? they come from the manufacturer with a coating to keep from rusting, prior to install, you should liberally spray them with brake clean to remove the coating, if not, the coating can prematurely glaze the pads.

Yes i did clean them with brake clean, and i tested them on a paved road, i read that the ridges that the pads ride on can have grooves that can mess the pad from moving in, they said you can take some sand paper and clean them up and put some lube on them, i think i will check that out, thanks for your imput
Matt

You might also want to have a buddy help you to bleed the brakes.It's pretty easy to do and it'll get out any air in the lines that might be trapped in there.

Tony

if the brakes were clean when installed and have a few miles to bed in then it sounds like contaminated brake fluid proberly got pushed backwards into the pipes when the piston was pushed in to allow for the new pads. (if you undid the bleed screw to get the piston back in then the brakes will proberly need bleeding to remove air, this is common practice in some shops as it avoids brake fluid getting anywhere near the paint) bleed the lines doing passenger side first then drivers. the ridges the pads ride on normally become a problem when the brakes are releasing this causes dragging to one side when not braking. this was common problem on most cars i have worked on in uk so should be the same with the jeep.

Make sure that your caliper slides are free and lubed. You may have one caliper that is not releasing completely and keeping that side engaged or applying more pressure to that one side.

A lot of good soultions here. Make sure the slides were greased up, make sure no air got into the system (bleed then really good).
If you are still having problems, ask about the priority valve.
These brake systems seem pretty simple, so you are close to curing the problem.

Back