2002 Grand with ? transmission or front end trouble

Lori

Hello all,
Happy New Year to you. While at normal speed on a state route on dry, yet cold pavement, a high pitched whistling type sound began. We first thought it was a fan in the dash. When all items were turned off, we still had the whistling sound and at one point the vehicle seemed to jump out of gear. When we slowed for a curve, the sound softened as the speed slowed. He decided to pull over to look under the hood and as we came to a stop the most terrible sound happened, like broken glass and metal. Smoke/steam came from under the hood on the driver's side. There was a small rubber hose with smoke/steam coming from it but we cannot find it's original hook up. There was a smell of transmission fluid and a small leak under the vehicle. When it was towed home the front end was locked up and had to be dragged off the tow truck. We are thinking (hoping) that it is just a bearing. Any thoughts or guidance? Thank you!

That sounds like a bad day!
I'd start by checking the fluid level of all your fluids (engine oil, transmission, radiator). I'm guessing that one of them will come up empty / low.

Take a picture of the hose that had steam coming from it and post here.

What color was the fluid leaking out of the hose?

My husband said the fluid was red. I don't know if he checked any fluid levels yet. I didn't get a good look at it. There was a small area of liquid below the area of the center console when we stopped to investigate the issue. He thinks the bearing is what was making the noise and hoping nothing further was damaged. I am attaching photos of the black hose that had the vapor coming from it. I also attached a recording of the high pitched sound and the "crash" when we stopped that sounds like broken glass and metal. Hopefully you can hear it. He did move it a short distance today. He said it made a clanging sound when moving forward and it really wouldn't go into reverse easily so he didn't press it. Thank you for responding.

Attachments

• Black hose.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 116
  • New Recording 4.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
Got my Jeep back on Saturday!! The issue was a bearing in the differential. When it came into disrepair, it also messed up the axle housing. It cost about $800 to get it fixed with used parts.

Back