1981 cj7 brake issues

absolutemoon

when i push the brake pedal while driving, it goes all the way to the floor and barely works. i need a considerable amount of room to stop. i couldnt lock my tires up if i tried. i checked the pads and they are fine. the master is full of clean fluid. i did the troubleshooting on the brake assist, it works fine. got any idea what else to check? keep in mind, i am not a mechanic. so type slow. thanks

Are you able to pump up your brakes (meaning press the brake pedal several times quickly and build up pressure)?

Sounds like air in the lines to me. Have you cracked open any of the brake system lines lately? I would try to bleed them out. It can't hurt to bleed them anyway. Fresh/clean fluid won't hurt anything.

I agree with bobcat could be air or if you havent cracked nything open lately could be your master cylinder is bypasing. my 81 just had hers replaced last month....doing the same thing. now she is happy!

Agree with possibly air in the lines, or the fluid could just be old, it degrades over time so a complete flush of the braking system may be in order.

yes, I can pump the brakes and build pressure. I bled the lines out last night and a lot of air came through. That seemed to help a little. I dont think I got back to the valve in time to keep att the air out. Its hard to bleed these old lines by yourself. thanks for all the help guys. Im sure I'll become a regular here. Got and old girl that needs some takin care of. Bryan

Look on-line for "Speed-Bleeders". They're are $4 or so a piece (x4). You just crack them open, pump your pedal, and a one-way valve keeps the air from coming back in. Re-tighten, and all is good. It's worth it if you wheel it much. OR, pay some neighbor kid $1 to pump it for ya. Don't give them candy for it though......might look bad. I wouldn't offer him a beer either.

Attachments

• p26071c.jpg
    p26071c.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,056
Ok guys, heres what the problem was.... My rear drums were on the wrong wheel. You know drivers on passenger and vice versa. Front calipers were locked and extreme amounts of air in the lines. Problem solved. Shes happy again. Thanks for all the help. Bryan

Back