1963 4cyl, 3 speed

dohldog

Hello,

This is my first posting to a forum and I am hoping that it is a good tool. Hopefully someone out there has time to assist me in my search for a classic jeep.

I have found a nice 1963 CJ5. I have a some experience with older vehicles, however not with old jeeps.

With my research, I have found that the jeep has 5.38 gears and can travel at approximatly 45 to 55mph. Currently, the jeep has factory size tires on it.

I would like to keep the drive train as is because the motor has recently been rebuilt and the transmission shows no signs of wear.
With proper gearing, will a rebuilt 1963 jeep motor cruise at 70 mph on the highway with 31" tall tires?

Also, I know the CJ5 are shorter that the CJ7, (dont laugh to loudly), but can a CJ5 accomodate a rear seat? I need something for my little boy to sit in when the family is going for a ride.

Thanks

Dohldog

Is your name Steve, by chance... Anyways, I don't think you'd want to go 70 in an old CJ5. My CJ7 was pretty squirrely at 60. It might be able to get there, though.

Collin the Hen,

Good Morning,

Thanks for the info about the jeep. Is your suggestion about not going 70mph due to the suspension and or aerodynamics, or lack there of?

Is there a simple remedie to make an old jeep cruise at highway speeds? I would like to this old Jeep that I found and I am willing to put some money in it, however, I do not want to rebuild the entire thing just to get her road ready.

I would like to hear any opinions.

Thanks,

Dohldog,

By the way, my name is NOT Steve, and I live in Central Pennsylvania.

I also would not want to go 70 mph in a older cj. If you really wanted to, I would suggest a engine swap and a re-gear and replace every single bushing and put in wider front springs.

I think the only "cheap" way to get to 70 in that Jeep is buying a pair of 3.08 AMC Jeep CJ axles and swapping in a Buick 231 v6 with a T98 transmission. If you get wide track axles, that would give 4 extra inches of width. Still, like jps4jeep said, you'd want to go through your suspension.

I personally would just cruise at 55 or so. Of course, I'm never in a rush and don't care about tailgaters. That's their problem... :twisted:

You have a really cool piece of history that anyone with some knowledge can respect. Why not keep it stock and take your time on trips?

By the way, a back seat should fit fine.

To all who have provided good insight,

Thanks for the time that you have given to me. It has definatly furthered my decision with my possible purchase of the '63 CJ5.

Now to fix the issue that started all of this, my 1997 Cherokee with a blown head gasket. This is not much of an issue, I should have it fixed in the next few weeks which shall buy me a few months to find an updated classic Jeep that shall better fit my needs.

Thanks,

Dohldog

To all who have provided good insight,

Thanks for the time that you have given to me. It has definatly furthered my decision with my possible purchase of the '63 CJ5.

No Thanks needed, I'm getting paid to sit here at work to post here :D

this is just my take on it.
it is an old vehicle that was designed to move personnel on very bad roads.
that's all.
it was never made to go anywhere near 70mph.

Ive got the 63 with the optional 4 speed and it doesn't like 50mph.
that engine is screaming at that speed. (very high RPM's)
i think of mine as an antique piece of farm equipment.

Back