Earl Scheib

JohnnyO

Anybody ever get their Jeep painted at Earl Scheib? How much did it cost?
I got an estimate to repaint in the stock color from a regular body shop and it was $1900. :shock: I only paid $4500 for the Jeep.
Thanks.

12 cans of Krylon, color sand and polish, could be done for about $200.

I would rather grab a couple dozen cans of Dupli-Color and do it myself than let Earl Scheib paint my Jeep. When I was in high school 20-some-years ago, my friend's Aunt Gert had her '78 Delta-88 repainted by Earl Scheib. Her car was originally Dark Metallic Blue; when we took her to pick the car up, she refused to believe that the car sitting in the parking lot was hers...it was painted a flat Light Blue...overspray everywhere.

For that price, i would borrow an air compressor, an HVLP paint gun, buy the paint and primer , prep the Jeep and paint it myself. I've never taken any of my vehicles painted by a paint shop. I just think it's a rip off when you see shotty work done and they just tell you that you get what you pay for. If i remember correctly, i spent $150.00 for the custom paint color, and another $50.00 for the clear coat. I already had the air compressor and bought the professional HVLP gun for $450.00.. I spent countless hours prepping the body and scrutinizing every nooks and cranny. In the end, i was very satisfied with the outcome. It's well worth it.

Geez, I guess prices have really gone up in two years!

image-missing.png

Of course I also remember when Earl would cry, "I'll paint any car for $19.95!"

Of course I also remember when Earl would cry, "I'll paint any car for $19.95!"
When I was a kid, my dad had our '64 Chevy painted at Earl's for $29.99 in 1974.
The paint on the Jeep is pretty nice for 13 years old, it's just that if you fix the scratches on the doors and the rust spot on the fender then you might as well paint the whole thing.

I am guessing this is a chain of auto painters?

Yep, Earl started out in 1937 in Los Angeles, by 1975 even had shops in England and Germany. This was (is) truly a drive thru paint shop where they demand their painters paint up to 5 cars per day.

Tons of horror stories about the quality of their paint jobs. I had a buddy that took his metallic silver '70 Econoline van in for paint and he got it back flat gun-boat gray. Another friend of mine got his car back and they had painted over mud on the rocker panels, painted over factory tape stripes and emptied out different color paint guns in his trunk.

maacco $299. my xj was painted 5 years ago still shins better than my wifes new jeep holds up good on trails to through brush ect

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 803
Back