yoke on the rear axle

92__cherokee

i have a 92 cherokee and its my first jeep i dont no a thang bout em. im havin a problem with the u joint it keeps breakin the bolts and the straps can anyone help??

Engine and transmission that is in it? Any modification, lifted, 2x4, 4x4, etc?

Where are you buying the bolts and straps? How long has it been doing this? Just recently or for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

its got the 4.0 its got the stock auto trans and transfer its got a 3in lift iv been gettin em from the jy it just sarted happenin its done it 4 times

Are you just replacing the U-bolts or are you replacing the entire yoke? Are they snapping off, or do they appear to be wearing out? Have you thought about having your drive shaft re-balanced? if you are only replacing the U-bolts, it may be that the yoke itself has some "slop" in it, and thus it is wearing out the pieces? Worst case you could run it to a transmission shop and let them replace the parts...that way it is under "warranty" with them...with the 3" lift it shouldn't have changed the angle of the shaft to much, but that is a possibility...

Bolts and straps? So the ujoint that connects the axle to the driveshaft? Front or rear axle? I would definately check your pinion angle. May be off pretty bad and when it extends or compresses gets bad enough the make the joint bind up and break. It happened to us on a 75 k5 blazer

iv just been replacin the bolts and straps not the yoke it seems too only be happenin when i gett on it too climb a hill ima need too replace the driveshaft last time it broke it beat it up ppretty bad were can you have one balanced? how would i check the pinion angle? if the pinion gear was goin out would it cause this?the bolts have been snappin off everytime

You can get the drive shaft balanced ata machine shop or sometimes a transmission shop (or they can at least direct you to someone who can do it...)

Definitely do away with the straps and go with a new yoke...

When I had a new drive shaft made for my '78 F100, I went to a machine shop, they provided all new yoke, u-bolts, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

When the bolts break and you spit out a ujoint you usually ruin the yoke to the point the ujoint will easily spit out when torque is applied. I'd recommend a new yoke, and more specifically an upgrade to the yoke that uses ubolts instead of bolts and straps.

Back