YJ Power Fading Away

oh, did you save the Plat from your cat? ;) i'm going to see if I can extract it and see how much is really in it, it's sitting at like 1k for a TROY OZ. :)

Well, here's a PM I got from some dude named "guysmiley" . He said he sent a PM because he couldn't reply in the forums:

guysmiley said:
I read all the posts on your thread. Some advice? Take it to a tech that can fix it. Thats what they do. You ripped apart an original cat for no reason. I know your problem is in your fuel filter. A cheap filter and 10 minutes would have saved you alot of time. Next time you need answers, go to a repair shop, spend the money and get it done right.

Apparently, he didn't read all the posts, or he would have seen that I already changed out the fuel filter. Sounds like Mr. Smiley is a mechanic to me. What fun is there in taking your Jeep to a mechanic? Sure, I gripe and moan about it, but I really love working on my Jeep. Besides that, it's free labor. Beats paying some grease monkey $200 to tell me I need a new muffler bearing!:lol: Only yuppy bastid mall-crawlers go running to the mechanic every time their Jeep hiccups!:lol:

have you had a chance to repair that leak from under your gas tank? I am wondering if your engine is starving from poor fuel flow? If not i'm sorry i have no idea what to tell you. I had a similar problem awhile back, but apparently my problem was my gas gauge was way off and i was running on fumes. Good luck Sparky.

What about the muffler? Are you getting good flow there?
Other than that, I would say drop the tank and fix that leak. If it is leaking from the pressure line then you would obviously lose power.
Dropping gas tanks is no big deal. I don't know why people make a fuss over it. Just run it nearly empty, don't smoke and don't use a drop light with a household bulb. They are easy to get off. You will need a floor jack if it has alot of gas in it. You might need something like a cinder block for it to rest on when you get it halfway lowered. The hoses won't be long enough to let it all the way down. You will have to stop and take them loose.
I think gas weighs just over 6 pounds a gallon and the tank can't weigh much over 10.

You know sparky, i thought i was being nice, and give you a heads up. But I see that your a little kid that cant take advice. I PM you again, my account is now up and running. If you want to play, you have to pay. I'll also post my PM so as all to see. Again, I thought I was helping you but I guess not.
PM to sparky:
Kill my fav tree? thats funny. Didn't see where you replaced the filter. My apologies for that. I am what you call one of those grease monkeys. Been in business with my father since I could remember. You have to go to a place you can trust. We are not all out to take your money. We do have a business and need to survive, but charge fairly. I hollowed out my cat a long time ago. So I'm no tree hugger. I've also built and raced muscle cars, and work on upper class cars. All vehicles are the same unless its a diesel. Internal combustion engines all run the same way. Air, fuel, spark. If you have the means to check all these out, you will solve your problems, if not, you are wasting your time, and pulling out your hair in the meantime. Let alone shotgunning by throwing everything everyone on the interet says. Check your fuel pressure, must be to specs. If it is too low: clogged filter, faulty delivery pump, pressure regulator, vapor lock in tank. Check spark. Just because you did a tune-up doesn't mean that the ignition system is ok. Put a scope on the ignition system, and see if you have proper output voltage to the plugs. Check for vacuum leaks at manifold with carb cleaner. Open throttle body, clean out all gunk. Its definatly clogged with carbon (jeep common prob). If all those check out, then check your air fuel ratio with meter on O2 sensor. If that is ok, go to engine. Compression and leak down tests. This is the proper way to diagnose the vehicle, not jump the gun and throw parts at it. Next time for cat test. drill a small hole before the cat and have someone snap throttle with you holding hose with pressure gauge at hole. Any back pressure and you have exhaust/cat problems, if its ok, put a rivet in the hole to reseal it. Takes 5 minutes and you checked the cat. If it isn't the problem, you can focus on finding the problem, not ripping the car apart. These are all things a good reputible mechanic/tech knows. Your problem would be diagnosed in one day, and probably back out on the road. You need all the proper tools though which your average person doesn't have. To learn, purchase the repair manual for your year jeep from the dealer, the same they use. Read it, study it, know it, only then will you be able to diagnose your problem. Go to your local 4X4 shop. They know these vehicles inside out. Their labor rate is usually lower. Good Luck

Anyway, I'll see you sometime on the trail...oooops, I forgot you dont have a reliable rig.
GuySmiley

Last edited:
You know sparky, i thought i was being nice, and give you a heads up. But I see that your a little kid that cant take advice. I PM you again, my account is now up and running. If you want to play, you have to pay. I'll also post my PM so as all to see. Again, I thought I was helping you but I guess not.
Anyway, I'll see you sometime on the trail...oooops, I forgot you dont have a reliable rig.
GuySmiley

Well, Guy, let me get you acquainted with the rules of this forum:

First and Foremost, we do not allow personal attacks, so if that's your style, then maybe Jeepz.com isn't the place for you. If you want to sling mud, do it in a PM, not out in the general boards where everyone else has to read it. I have read and re-read my PM to you, and I don't see anything there that should have made you react the way you did. You haven't made a very good first impression. Maybe your second post will be a bit more helpful and in line with our forum's guidelines.

Now, back to the topic at hand:

dropseys, I haven't got the leak fixed yet, still working on it in my spare time (which isn't much). I'm going to get it done this weekend, as I'm taking a couple of days off (Sat and Sun) from the grind.

What about the muffler? Are you getting good flow there?
Other than that, I would say drop the tank and fix that leak. If it is leaking from the pressure line then you would obviously lose power.
Dropping gas tanks is no big deal. I don't know why people make a fuss over it. Just run it nearly empty, don't smoke and don't use a drop light with a household bulb. They are easy to get off. You will need a floor jack if it has alot of gas in it. You might need something like a cinder block for it to rest on when you get it halfway lowered. The hoses won't be long enough to let it all the way down. You will have to stop and take them loose.
I think gas weighs just over 6 pounds a gallon and the tank can't weigh much over 10.

I've got the tank unbolted, but ran out of daylight the other night and never got it dropped very far. It's pert near empty, so it's relatively light. It feels like something is holding it up, as it's only dropping a couple of inches, not enough to reach on top to disconnect wires and such. It's a pain not having the time to work on it. I leave at dark-thirty in the morning, work 12 to 14 hours a day, and get back home at dark-thirty in the evening. By then, I'm just too dang worn out to do anything but eat, post a few messages, and go to bed.

I have an idea that it could be the fuel leaking from a pressure line, because it only leaks while it's running. While I've got the tank down, I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump, too. (Yeah, that's right, Guy, I'm going to "throw some more parts at it"). I figure I might as well while I've got it down. (That's called preventative maintanence, in case you were wondering :lol: ) My boss has been giving me some good pointers to help me out. I didn't realize it, but not only is he a master plumber, a licensed commercial pilot with A&P certification, but he also worked for Robert Yates, building Nascar engines for a while. He ain't no greasemonkey!!!!:p

I'll get it working again, hopefully by myself so I can sit back and feel good about myself for accomplishing yet another task on the mighty YJ. When I have to take it to a mechanic, I'll feel like I've lost the battle. But, it ain't over till the fat lady sings....or until I go up in a blazing fireball!!:lol:

Sparky,
All started on the wrong foot. If you took it negative, I apologize. Do not call me grease monkey. Times have changed now. More electronics than wrenching, and I don't work at an Iffy Lube. It was rude to close my post slinging mud and I apologize about that sincerely. I do believe that I did give you a good basis of diagnosing your situation. By the way, I looked for the spell check and couldn't find it. Checked briefly. Im not a know it all. There a some things some can't do. Thats where a tech might come in handy. Besides they have all the tools needed. So to start off fresh....

Is your jeep stick or auto, clutch slipping possibly, or TC if auto. If you can get your hands on an infrared temp gauge, check after a hill climb if your brakes are heating up. I've seen too many overtightened rear shoes or calipers holding back. A slight leak in wheel cylinder will make the shoes in the rear swell slightly and hold you back. Clean out the throttle body while the engine is running. I know I mentioned that before, but you will be suprised what gunk can come out and what performance you can restore. A vehicle running rich will lack power also. How is your thermostat? Engine running to cool? Ecm will not lean the mixture if its not fully warm. Any check engine lights lit? Though, I don't normally aprove of this, Autozone will scan free of charge, just dont let them sell you anything until your sure. Changing the fuel pump in the tank while its down is a good idea, change the sock while your at it. Good Luck
Guysmiley

I'm too lazy to read this whole thing :lol: so if this is not applicable please ignore.

Maybe the engine is just tired, how many miles are on that thing? Maybe you should just cut your losses and swing by your local junkyard and pick up one of those 500 ci Caddy engines. I've always wanted to see it done to a Jeep... ;-)

if the cat is stock try getting a benzomatic tourch with Mapp gas. you can pick it up as a kit at lows. use it to heat the bolts to remove them. if your worried about the fumes , get wet, i mean get on your back and take a hose and wash every bit of the underside of the jeep. i normaly use some simple green degreaser. its supposed to be environmentaly friendly. spray it up under the jeep with a spray bottle and let sit 3 to 5 minutes. hose off and got to work. good luck

opps should have read al 5 pages befor i put in my two cents well hopes this helps. when your doing the tanks and lines get a new fuel sock i worked on hummer's in the marines and couldnt tell you how many times i have seen the fuel sock go bad. they should look like a tan to light brown in color if its blck in color its bad. i know diesel grows alge in it and that clogs the sock quick but it might help in your case. if not deffiantly check the fuel pressure. get a gauge that goes on the fuel rail on the schrader port good luck

I'm too lazy to read this whole thing :lol: so if this is not applicable please ignore.

Maybe the engine is just tired, how many miles are on that thing? Maybe you should just cut your losses and swing by your local junkyard and pick up one of those 500 ci Caddy engines. I've always wanted to see it done to a Jeep... ;-)

I thought about putting an Allison V-12 in it. Would that give me any extra horse power?:???: Anyone know where I can get a decent trailer with motor mounts in it for my new motor?:lol:

Actually, it just turned over 100,000 a couple of weeks ago. I've got 3 times as many miles on me, and I know I'm tired!!:lol:

opps should have read al 5 pages befor i put in my two cents well hopes this helps. when your doing the tanks and lines get a new fuel sock i worked on hummer's in the marines and couldnt tell you how many times i have seen the fuel sock go bad. they should look like a tan to light brown in color if its blck in color its bad. i know diesel grows alge in it and that clogs the sock quick but it might help in your case. if not deffiantly check the fuel pressure. get a gauge that goes on the fuel rail on the schrader port good luck

Changing the fuel sock is one of the things the bossman suggested the other day when we were talking about it. He said you'd be amazed at the number of mechanics that swap out fuel pumps and throw the same old dirty sock back on.

I'm pretty tempted to call in today, seeing as how I overslept and should be on the road to work already. It's raining, and it's nice and cool. But, the boss just put me up for Employee of the Month yesterday, so I guess I'd better get rolling.......

I replaced the leaking fuel line, fuel pump, and pump "sock" filter this afternoon. I'm happy to say that I've got my power back!:D Getting the tank back up wasn't nearly as much trouble as bringing it down. Only trouble I ran into was hooking up the fuel lines backwards the first time. Funny, but it wouldn't start at all when I did that....duh. So, I swapped them on the connections in front of the tank and it fired up after two tries. I'm so glad I didn't have to shell out any money to a grease monkey to get it fixed. Always get such a great sense of self accomplishment when I do things myself. Plus, it was kinda fun now that I look back on it. I'm guessing that it was the leaking fuel line that was causing it. It had 3 splits, actually cracks, in it right where it bends to make the trip through the crossmember to the tank. Even though that may have been the problem, I'm glad I swapped the fuel pump while I was at it....now I know it's new and that's one less thing I have to worry about as the YJ gets older. It also prompted me to go ahead and gut the cat, which is something else I'd been planning to do for a while. That sure made it sound a lot better. It must've had some blockage going on, because the airbox was really, really loud when I'd accelerate, easy or hard. Now it's quiet as it was when it was stock, and the exhaust has a nice low drone to it. Sounds pretty good! Yeah, going to a grease monkey would have been quicker, but it also would have been more $$$. And then I still wouldn't know how to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump. Learning is a good thing! My dad always told me to try to learn at least one new thing every day. He also said the day he quit learning would be the day he died. Good advice from a good man. I do miss him so!!

Thanks to all my Jeepz friends for the suggestions and tips to help me solve this problem. 8) You guys are the greatest!!

Welp... I guess I'm the only one who still has to deal with the "dun't always wanna run right" complex.

congrats on your accomplishment

Back