Wrangler hardtops

cherokee_chic

RE: klunk,klunk,klunk noise in 4-WD

Currently I drive a cherokee, had a soft top wrangler a while back. I am considering buying a new wrangler. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove a hard top? Is this something I can do by myself or do I need someone to help?

They're bulky and awkward to remove so it generally takes two to lift it off. IT can be done alone with a top-hoist if you have a garage to install it in. Ceiling of the garage is a good place to store the top also.

RE: let me rephrase....

I was able to get mine off by myself before I lifted it. I had two sets of picnic benches that I stacked behind the Jeep then got in and lifted the top enough to slide it back and on to the benches.

what would you rather do?

Hi Cherokee,

I would guess that the weight of my CJ hardtop is in the neighborhood of 170 pounds. I would guess also that that the weight of a wrangler hardtop would be similar.

One should have help moving anywhere near that much very awkward weight.

Regards,

Gadget

Thanks for the tips guys! I don't think I'll be lifting 170 any time soon:) I give creativity points to the one who mentioned using a picnic bench to help with the dirty work. Speaking of work I should get back to that...

I scratched the bottom rear edges of mine a bit doing it myself. I'm 200 lbs and in decent shape and it was a pain in the neck. Our picnic benches are attached to the table :(

I've done it myself, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Especially if you don't want it dinged up or scratched!

Easy to unbolt. Only 6 bolts and two latches over the windshield. Kinda heavy like everyone said. Two guys can do it easily. I think I'll ask a neighbor next time I take mine off. The wife "helped". Basically I had it on my shoulders while she guided it as we (I) walked it through the back yard. I don't recommend that method.

I would recommend however, just getting a soft top and not worry about the hard top. I doubt I'll ever put my hard top back on. Just don't see the need for it.

RE: Flat fender kit for a YJ???

I've done it myself. I folded the rear seat down and picked it up from the rear/center, then stepped out... a lot easier taking it off alone than it is to put on alone

Back