Winches?

originalrider41

I'm looking for reviews or advice on getting a winch...

It seems like they would all work but why is smittybilt so inexpensive compared to others? Are they that cheap in quality or just really a good deal?

Also, I like the milemarker si 9500 because it has the load-holding break but is it necessary?

I am SUPER happy with the Superwinch EPi 9.0... And it took all the abuse that Moab Jeeper could throw at it (the only other winch to survive their testing was the Warn; look for the article online).

As for your decision, my response would be what kind of use do you plan to give your winch? If you plan to use it very rarely, I'd say the smittybuilt culd work, but if you offroad often and want reliability, you have to ante up and go for a bigger name. In my own case, my reasoning is that by the time I need the winch it is because all else (tire size, lockers, etc.) has failed to get me out of a bind, and I want to be 100% sure that when I hook up the winch, it WILL work, so I decided to go with the #2 option out there (I prefered Warn, but it was too $$$).

JP mag has a nice little article in thier July issue on inexpensive electric winches. They give Smittybuilt a decent review. Interesting and informative read. Guess it depends on how you plan to use it.

Most inexpensive winches on the market are made in China. They seem to do pretty well overall, depends on your intended use and what you want to get for your money.

To answer the question about the brake. It depends on the winch design, spur gear and planetary gear designs need a load holding brake, worm gear designs do not.

Something to keep in mind is that some of the Chinese winches free-spool when you take the cable out, and this is not optimal because it can easily end up in a tanlged cable... I think this is not the case with the Smittybuilt (IIRC), though...

Not sure this has anything to do with what your looking for but I've been looking at winches also and most of the guys I talk to tell me to leave the cable winches alone and get a winch with this new AmSteel Blue Synthetic winch rope.

Thanks for all the help.
Il definitely check out that article and those synthetic ropes look pretty cool.
As for smittybult and the other cheap ones im not going for them.
worm gear seems better so I think il aim for that.
Thanks again

Not sure this has anything to do with what your looking for but I've been looking at winches also and most of the guys I talk to tell me to leave the cable winches alone and get a winch with this new AmSteel Blue Synthetic winch rope.

That depends on what you want; AmSteel is good because (1) is light weight, and (2) holds no energy (meaning that if it breaks, it will not whip like steel cable, which can rip an arm or a leg off if you are not careful). But the down side is that it is more suscptible to being cut by rocks (which can cause it to break when winching), and it is also affected by UV rays and heat (can also cause it to fail prematurely). It is also much more expensive, and can rot faster than a cable can rust (although this last one is debatable). For me, cable is better, but it is a personal decision.

im a fan of warn, my dad has one on his fourwheeler( i know its not a jeep or anything) but man i have sunk that thing in some mud, and that warn winch pulled me out no problem. now for the jeeps and all that, i have a jeep and im gettin a warn for it, im buying it used so its cheaper than a brand new.

A comment....people buy jeeps because they are the best....why not put the best winch on also? If you depend on your jeep in offroading, then you'll want to buy a Warn because you'll definitely want to depend on it. My jeep is top quality because I am a retired mechanic. I listen to Jeepers talk about jeeping but remember, it's from a jeeper's point of view. A wrench's point of view is different because he knows more as it's his profession! So, yeah, I built my jeep as a mechanic would and that's why I beat other jeepers on the trail. Regarding cable versus synthetic line.... I'll take cable anytime over amsteel. Why? Because everytime a jeep gets stuck, it just ain't stuck....you get stuck real good. In Moab, a guy needed to be winched out. Three jeepers hooked up to him and each one broke his line. Leonard's Offroad was there and put a cable on him and pulled him out. Bet you that guy was happy we had cable! Amsteel is used more so in rallying as speed is important and when you get stuck in this type of offroading, you really don't get stuck too badly, relative to severe offroading. Another thing, if you're worried about whip lash with the cable, just use it properly and you won't have that problem. Been using cable for over 50 years...no problems.

I have the Smittybilt XRC8 and it has worked great pulling me out of a hole that would take me forever with the comealong and chain. Has also puled my Dad's 2wd 2500 Chevy out when he got it stuck with a load of firewood. Only problem i've had was when my Dad forgot it was hooked up after cutting trees in a rainstorm and he ran over the controller destroying it. Which reminds me... he still owes me a new controller. But for speed go for Warn or another the Smittybilt is not incredibly fast.

I have done a lot of winching in my life, not only just as a jeeper on vacation. Warn puts a lot of money into advertising, I would bet more than anybody else. That is why they are well known in the automotive circles. In my career I have never run across a single Warn winch. No matter if it was a gantry crane, salvage boat, heavy equipment, steel mill, railroad wrecker, or mining drag line. I have seen a few Ramsey's, and a Koenig but most were brands that do not make small winches such as what we use on 4x4's. So I own a Koenig PTO, a few Ramsey, and one Warn. Truth be known, Warn isn't any better or worse than the others I own but it sure cost more (retail price), but I have no issue paying more as long as it is made in U.S.A..

Last edited:
Back