winch

LGR

so i'm kind of afraid to use my winch, its never been used and i guess thats a good thing...but when its time i'm afraid its going to like kill my battery and/or eletrical system. whats the best way to score that extra battery power? I was thinking a new high output alternator and an optima battery(red top??). Let me know you all think. Also going to want to power a row of lights on a bar.

I am not sure about any where else but here local I have a Mom and Pop Auto Electrial shop. They will build me a wopper of an alternator for around 60 bucks. Had a big one the YJ that I sold. Like 170 amp or some thing like that. Check Around your area. tug

Different CJ5 Problems

yeah quadratec sells them mean green ones that put out like 140 amps or so. they like 300. i don't know of any electrical shops around me..also the fact that the mean green ones are an exact replacement is nice no mods needed.

Park your jeep on a slight hill and use the winch to pull it up. Remember proper winching practices! use a remote multimeter and see how much draw is on the battery. One of the easiest things we did in my friends jeep with a warn m8000 was to put in a thumb throttle so when winching, we could simply turn up the idle and get a little extra juice out of the electrical system.

not a bad idea about that hand throttle..thing is RE wants like 15 bucks for it and thats fine..but 20 shipping...no thanks

You can make one at home with some bike parts and a couple of clamps. I personally wasn't there for the install (I was under my Jeep at the time) but I know that Tug has one built and installed. How much was it total again, Tug? something like $10, and all the parts are local so there's no shipping.

Very easy to make, just need to be creative. this particular one was made with a manual choke cable and pull knob that we got out of a old bronco.

Made my Jeep hand throttle for $7 in parts from the bike shop. Very easy.

You can get a good deep cycle starting batter for around $60 or $70. Not as good as the Optima or other Spiral Wound batteries, but they have thier place. I got as big as I could and it hangs over the battery tray almost against the heater core hoses. Mine has the extra studs next to the battery post to attach the winch cables with wingnuts.

If you've got the newer NipponDenso alternator you can find a 136A factory unit in the junkyards that is pretty much a bolt-in. Should be under $50. Disregard the brashness of this forum but there is good info on this here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=dd66b2e76e1ffd9e943ba15dea920507&threadid=172316

Make sure you unwind your new winch and reel it in under a slight load. I just find a slight hill and point my jeep downhill, with the wheels chocked, and winch in a buddies jeep. Doing this on pavement is fine, you just want a little pressure on the cable.

You could put a 3 way toggle switch in the dash for a winch control (or bring your remote in the cab with you) and sit in there pressing the gas. I'm always in there with it running and in gear when I winch.
If you are sunk or upside down then you may want to get out and consider getting a buddy to winch you out.

My hand Throttle cost 7.50 in parts From my local REI and about an hour of install time with Tug's help. It is great for many things other than winching but I don't suggest it as a high speed Cruise control.

Ratcheting Gear changer from a 10-speed or mountian bike. Free from REI's left-over parts
Standard 6 feet Gear cable $3
6 feet of Cable housing $4.25
Taxes $.25
The joy of having a low speed Cruise control Priceless.

yeah for the 10 dollars its getting done..prolly won't use it much but it will come in very handy when i start to climb rocks more

somebody told me yellow top is okay if i plan on doing a double battery..but not a yellow top by itself....'eh..got me. yellow top alone is okay? won't be any disadvantages??

Yellow top is a deep cycle starting battery, best to use when using the winch as it will survive multiple discharges.

but it is also a good all around battery? so even if i wasn't winching every day it wouldn't have any issues would it?

The yellow top is used for longer draws, since the winch will be used for a longer period of time (in comparison to just starting the engine) the yellow top would be ideal for this. I don't see a problem with using the yellow top for a starter battery, they have almost the same amount of cold cranking amps... personally I would run the red top as a main and the yellow for my long draw accessories.

I would do the same as joop! The yellow top (and don't forget blue top) are not necesarily designed to be used as a everyday battery. if you do want to upgrade, a red top will be suficient. If this in not enough for you, do as BH said and get a lesser known brand name, save some cash. You can get a duel battery selinoid at most marine stores for about $10 and use that. there are also plenty of articles on the web about these. a little research never hurt!

i'd like to stay away from the dual battery set up if i can..i don't want to spend not extra money if i don't need.

Back