Which Optima battery

bryanjeep

What color Optima is best for me. I will have a 350, I have many lights, winch in future, electic fan, radio but no amp, and all the little add ons. I think the two choices are red and yellow.

someone said one is a deep cycle ..
Deep cycles are better for long discharge and long recharge cycles.
They will not recharge as fast as a standard c series battery.. ask a professional ! Not the seller, maybe a starter/ alternator shop.

The yellow one is the deep cycle and is more expensive (about $30 more). I'd get any good battery with a high CCA rating. Optima is a bit pricey, and unless you need the deep cycle for some reason, you're probably paying extra for the name with the red one. I'd check prices/ specs on Interstate & others as well.

I don't know much about batteries and specs and what to look for.

extreamly good advice !
Unless you need to mount it upside down, no need for a totally sealed battery. Did not even think to tell you that...
I use a 1000 cca Interstate. I don't think highly of the wal-mart special.
maybe Exide Die Hard Interstate ...

This is getting funny

my last red top lasted me 5.5 years and i got $30 toward the price of a new one (still under warrenty). I don't think that's overpaying for a battery if it lasted that long....espically as hard as I am on batteries. My last die hard gold lasted less than half that time and I paid 80 for it. I'll never buy anything but optimas, even for my wife's civic... :lol:

On November 1, 2000, Johnson Controls, Inc. purchased OPTIMA Batteries, Inc. from the Gylling Group of Scandinavia.

Must of been one of there early versions...
Last 5 years ? That is good.

Hi,

The red top is probably closer to a standard car battery in Cold-Cranking Amps (CCA) and Amp-hours (AH), but I'm not sure.

The yellow top is a deep-cycle battery. Like all deep-cycles, you can discharge them faster and closer to 0 volts with out permanently damaging the battery. They usually can output higher currents and have a higher CCA and AH ratings than regular batteries.

-Nick :!:

i dont know what exactly was said b/c i just kinda skimmed.. .but Continental batteries also makes optima

If your planning on using alot of lights at the same time, or the winch and other things simultaneously, it probably would be better to get a yellow top as it can withstand higher current draws. :mrgreen:

I will usually use maybe 2 lights at a time with the headlights. I have 8 aftermarkets but like I said, 2 is enough. But still I think I should go for the yellow top then. I am looking at the ones on eBay with the free shipping. The thing is, if it ever goes bad, could I take it into a dealer (pepgirls) and get utilize the warranty?

far_right said:
but Continental batteries also makes optima

Actually, Continental batteries is just a distributor of Optima.
Optimas are made by Optima Batteries, a division of johnson controls. :mrgreen:

Back