What's wrong with owning a TJ?

Sigfried and Roy attack video!!

I have no problems with what I own. I think a Jeep is a Jeep. I bought mine because of the abilities to take the top and doors off, and to hit the trails. I just have to do a few mods and I am set. It is the first vehicle I have bought and new I was going to keep it for a very long time. Probably hand it off to one of my kids when they get older (I have a set of 2 1/2 yr old twins).

Just dropped the deposit on a rubi this week. Cant Wait to get it. Now I have a CJ-7, a CJ-8, A YJ, AND A TJ. My wife says I have a three Jeep limit and one of them has to go. MMMMM which one. It looks like the CJ-7 is going, The first one I ever owned. But it looks like I am giving it to a family member so I might still see it around.

Hey joejeepny- don't feel too bad, I had 4 Jeeps, a cj5, a j10 p/u, and 2 cherokees when I met my wife and now I'm up to 7, added a p/u, a cherokee, and a grand wagoneer. Every time I see one and say " ooo look more parts", she tells me no more also. What gives? :? :wink:

hi_c said:
I thought the TJ's were too "car-like" when they first came out, with their hand-brake and cup holders and stock roll-bar speakers... and in a way.

I would love to have a hand-brake,then I dont need 3 feet!

sully, i think he's referring to the e-brake.
sounds like you need to fab a hand throttle - that'll free up a foot!

olyeller said:
sully, i think he's referring to the e-brake.
sounds like you need to fab a hand throttle - that'll free up a foot!

I know he is talking about the e-brake.I want one!

JEALOUSY??? Jealous of WHAT???? Your payments? The outragous intrest you'll pay "IF" you ever pay it off.

I OWN my CJ7 for less then you paid for in options and mark up on your TJ alone. That doesn't include the sale price or intrest paid. I had the choice of anything built today last November, a 40K limit. I bought a 79' CJ7. (my fifth Jeep including one YJ) After 30 years in Alaska I knew what lasts and possesses rugged simplicity. I understand that is my choice. Convenience at the expense of reliability and durability is not an option for me.

The CJ isn't built with plastic holding vinyl with more plastic clips. There are no switches made of plastic from china to turn little plastic motors. It isn't built with todays "Build it as cheap as we can get away with" attitude of todays car market. It was built to be as strong and long lasting as possible with what was available. Everything is manual,engineered overkill, and built to be repaired simply out in the field if nessesary. Not just a dealership shop. Sure it lacks convenience, sure it lacks those cool cup holders......I say thank god!! If I am limited buy owning leafs then ask yourself this. How fun is repairing 14 bushing per axle going to be? Can you just get bushings without buying the whole arm assy? Can you strip down and repair just about everything on your TJ with a small handful of tools?? Do you know how??

I could spend 3K and have a better suspension then any TJ and still not have hit 7-8K total. (Not that I would) Is your TJ going UP in value?? In five to 8 years it will be worth 5 grand, except you paid 20K+ and I paid 3K

I see nothing wrong with TJs or people owning them. But just because you bought one doesn't mean they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll talk to you in 25 years and we'll compare Jeeps, and maintanance cost over that span. Yea that means mine will be 50, and still kickin.

I don't mean to get everyone pissed off. I am sure it's too late. But these are some of the reasons "I" chose a CJ. It could be summed up in two words, instead of all this babbling and ranting.

"Rugged simplicity"

TJs are better than sliced bread :p

I have a little green military bag of tools that I keep in my Jeep with almost everytool I need to fix everything that I have touched. And yes I do know how to fix it. If not I bet I can find out how.

Payments??
They are just a small sacrifice for the "creature comforts"

Rugged??
sure CJs are more "rugged" but after Rust sets in, just like TJs, it is screwed.

Maintenance costs??
Nothing really if you research what you are doing.

How fun is repairing 14 bushing per axle going to be?
VERY fun. I search for a reason to turn a wrench on my Jeep.

I'll talk to you in 25 years and we'll compare Jeeps??
This depends on the person and how well they maintain their Rig. If I was a person that only changed his Oil when the Oil light came on or never cleaned, checked fluids, found the best product on my TJ then sure, I am willing to go ahead and give you the money on that bet.

I could spend 3K and have a better suspension then any TJ and still not have hit 7-8K total. (Not that I would) Is your TJ going UP in value?? In five to 8 years it will be worth 5 grand, except you paid 20K+ and I paid 3K
Why not buy the best at the begining and just move up, instead, of building up to "better" then trying to go "best"

More later work has called me away :)

I am not jealous,but I do like the TJ's.Some options like the e-brake are options I would find helpful on my jeep.The TJ does come with coils,but that doesnt make it a better jeep.Remember people,it's all about experiance.Just because you or I cant afford them doesnt mean it is a reason to dislike it.

To each his own. That is what makes the world go around. What works best for one person may not be the best option for another. That doesn't mean what you have is the best for everyone else.

I love hearing the arguments though. :p
fight-1.gif

faded

before i picked up the TJ i looked first at an 85 cj, then a 95 YJ (with SOA but it was a POS) then saw the deal on the TJ. if ida had it my way...all three woud be in my driveway :D I love em all

Heheheheeeheheee Dang this is fun!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maintenance costs??

And you can fix it with a little tools in a Military bag??

HOW long have you owned it?? 7 months now?? :twisted:

Payments??
They are just a small sacrifice for the "creature comforts"

Small isn't a words I would use myself. And comfort is for cars and lazy boys. And comfort at the expense of durability, No-tanks mon!! Not to mention all the mods and add on for those payment each month.

Why not buy the best at the begining and just move up, instead, of building up to "better" then trying to go "best"
Niiiiice try.......................

Uuuuuuuh I did. Your sales man and Jeep Magazines convinced you you did. "History" convinced me. REAL JEEPS ARE B-U-I-L-T!!! Why spend 25K on something I need to mod or replace everything to get it the way it needs to be.

Lets see, for $4700. I have a Late 79 CJ7 Rebuilt I-6 with fuel injection, rebuilt T-18 w/granny, rebuilt Dana 20 tranfer case, completely redone brakes, front axle, 2.5 BDS lift, 1 inch body lift, news wheels and tires, New best top,all three seats, and console. Repainted Flat olive drab, New radiator w/electric fan, and countless other touches. I know that isn't the normal, but between smart shopping and knowing how to repair anything on her it was easy. I can email ya pics, I can't post them since I don't have a web site.

Ok Ok I'm having a blast but I too have to get back to work... :D :D

Heheheheeeheheee Dang this is fun!!

Yes sir, it is.

And you can fix it with a little tools in a Military bag??

Yes, anything that I need to fix out on a trail or on the road-side. For anything else I have an auto-mech tool box complete with Impact tools and a friend that gives me a bay with a lift and air when I want it.

HOW long have you owned it?? 7 months now??

Aint that sick?? 7 months and I prolly have more dents and dings than most "Old man" Jeeps like you and yours. :wink:

Small isn't a words I would use myself. And comfort is for cars and lazy boys. And comfort at the expense of durability, No-tanks mon!! Not to mention all the mods and add on for those payment each month.

Easy for me since I have a job that doesn't require a name on my shirt. :roll: :lol:

"History" convinced me. REAL JEEPS ARE B-U-I-L-T!!!

At least we agree on something.

Lets see, for $4700. I have a Late 79 CJ7 Rebuilt I-6 with fuel injection, rebuilt T-18 w/granny, rebuilt Dana 20 tranfer case, completely redone brakes, front axle, 2.5 BDS lift, 1 inch body lift, news wheels and tires, New best top,all three seats, and console. Repainted Flat olive drab, New radiator w/electric fan, and countless other touches. I know that isn't the normal, but between smart shopping and knowing how to repair anything on her it was easy. I can email ya pics, I can't post them since I don't have a web site.

I think in this Paragraph you said "Rebuilt" about as many times as I have payments left. :wink: If it is "rebuilt" that tells me that "durability" isn't much more than a look at your Frame and the sheetmetal. I can rattle can mine if I like, and in the future I prolly will.

But I think I have something that you will never have on that CJ7.

WARENTEE!!!!! Suck on that one Mr. CJ!!!

After our battles of TJ vs. CJ I hope that you know I am still only doing this in fun.

After our battles of TJ vs. CJ I hope that you know I am still only doing this in fun.[/quote/]

Yes,I dont have a warrantee.I think I'm gonna cry....... :p

Uuuuuuuh I did. Your sales man and Jeep Magazines convinced you you did. "History" convinced me. REAL JEEPS ARE B-U-I-L-T!!! Why spend 25K on something I need to mod or replace everything to get it the way it needs to be.

A TJ is a real jeep!So is a YJ,CJ,WJ,XJ,and all the other J's with out independant front suspension.A jeep is a jeep.It has to be bought some time.All the guys with the TJ's are doing is buying them new.Your Cj was new once too.And I am sure it cost more money than the jeeps before it at the time.

We can still go-on argueing.

By the way,CJ CJ CJ

L.E.D. taillights

Pphhhhttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhh............

Fixed buy some mechanic that is pissed he gets another warranty job he won't get fairly paid for. :?

Like I would let another turn a wrench on my baby.

Name tags,...................Well it's at least sewn on!! :D :lol: :lol:

Money wasn't an issue with my choice. well................yea it was. Not the payments just being able to get what I want cheaper. (And they don't sell CJ's brand new.) Damn funny though!!!

But I tell you what, here is how you can win this arguement. Just buy me a TJ sport, 5 speed, gunmetal blue hardtop.(any year TJ, no other options needed) That way if you pay for it I won't feel bad gutting it and getting rid of all the crap I don't like. Or leave it on the street were it belongs and make my CJ a trail only rig. :D :lol: :twisted: :D

And of course this is all in fun. I'd own them ALL if I could.

It's fun being able to go the same places, and further, than the TJ car jeeps, for a lot less $$. I'll take durability, reliability, and utility anyday over a cushy tirejacking turtle playing TJ :shock:

Next :twisted:

Back