whats the smartest way to go?

pizaba

so, if anyone has read my previous threads, you can recall that i'm a gear junky. so i've hit an obvious update block. i can't figure out what i should go ahead and get first.

heres my plans for the jeep

lift kit, tires, wheels, exhaust.

i don't like the look of a lift with stock tires. i dont like the look of upgraded tires/wheels without a lift. the problem i have is that i can't afford to buy all three of them all at once, and also, my wife would give me a free vasectomy. why i threw in the exhaust is because i want some good pipes and all, but (and i know this is going to be a newbie question) would there be any problems that i'd run into if i got an exhaust before the lift/tires? i can't imagine there would be, but i'm no mechanic... i don't know if the pipes would get in the way of doing the lift.

so, again with my long winded questions, what order would you recommend me getting these needed items?

Last edited:

lift kit and tires, if it is a 2004, there is nothing wrong with stock exhaust

lift the macho driver's side and mount the big wheels/tires to your liking.
tell her you left the passenger side low for her comfort and convenience getting in and out as an act of love.

When she responds with the gushy "love forgives all & I'm a princess" reaction, slip the other side on the card under her radar before she wakes up.

I've found it's better to push thru barriers and make headway than to beg for permission in an endless act of futile subservience.

be a man.

forget the pipes for now..

#1 Get the lift put it on the shelf till your ready. it will be a nother box on the shelf.

#2 Then work on wheels and tires.

#3 When you get all you need make a weekend of it and put it together in time for summer.

lift the macho driver's side and mount the big wheels/tires to your liking.
tell her you left the passenger side low for her comfort and convenience getting in and out as an act of love.

When she responds with the gushy "love forgives all & I'm a princess" reaction, slip the other side on the card under her radar before she wakes up.

I've found it's better to push thru barriers and make headway than to beg for permission in an endless act of futile subservience.

be a man.

LMAO:lol:. On the good note, she still calls it the humane procedure, my wife calls it castration:shock::cry:.

lol, yeah yeah i know i'm whipped by my wife, but thats better than being whipped by anyone else i guess, so i deal with it. ok, will do with the order suggested. hopefully i can live with having the lift kit on a shelf for a bit.

I did the lift and the look of the stock wheels and tires drove me nuts. So I didn't wait for budjet I went ahead and got them and really like the looks and clearance. I agree wait until you need and exhaust.

i am in the same boat!looking with jealous eyes every time i see a Jeep going down the road sitting up right!then i look at mine,all stock and low!my largest problem is not the wife,it's the fact that i am so overly anal about all the many options that i don't know what road to choose!i want to run 32's for now.should i do spring spacers?springs?do i need to extend brake lines,etc.,with either?i just want to go 2-3"higher and put big meat underneath!the only non-redneck sounding exhaust i have heard that i like is banks=$,so i'm gonna wait on that!any advice?

goldtj,

sorry bro... i'm not even trying to figure out what i'm gonna get. i just wanna figure out what part i'm going to upgrade, then decide the specs after that. so i guess i'm gonna be shopping for a lift first... i don't know even where to start.

well,word is you can run 31 10.50 15 tires with zero mods,so that's a good place to start!i'm gonna run all the life out of my stock tires before i drop the coin for more tires.just trying to get all the plans laid up for the next level!as far as exhaust,different people like different stuff,but i drive 25 miles each way back and forth to work at 75 m.p.h.,and can't stand floorboard-rattling Flowmaster,etc. noise-i like a quality deeper tone,that sounds classy and not like a Honda Civic with a fart-pipe/coffee can outlet!The Banks is by far the best sounding i have heard,but tips the scales a couple hundred more than an economy 2.5" lift,so for me,the lift will get the nod for now!

Wheels and tires first. 31x10.50s will fit with no lift, but ya gotta be careful off road. They will rub when you're flexed with no lift. Just remember your speedo will read slow, so a new speedo gear will help. When I did mine it took me longer to open the ups box than to install it. Also depending on your stock gearing, 5th will be useless.
As For exhaust- I love my Banks cat back. Sounds awesome, and adds a little seat of the pants performance.
Lift kit? DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Ride in some other people's Jeeps, look at reviews, talk to people, get opinions. DO NOT just buy one that is cool. If it's your daily driver think about on-road manners too. You can make a good compromise between off-road capability and road manners.

I did the lift, then the gears, then the tires... Here's the 4" lift with 31's (what I call the roller skate look):

DSC02421-1.jpg

Here's how it looks now...

DSC00170-1.jpg

The trick is taking it one step at a time, and planning ahead so you know what you want to do to the Jeep BEFORE you start buying parts...

jfrabat,that is one mean looking YJ!unfortunately,i can't seek out your recommendations,since you have leaf springs!but i would love to get any pros/cons from anybody with a TJ who can answer any questions about lifting 3" or less!i spend 10 times as much time on road as off,and still need manners,handling,gas mileage,etc.!i really wouldn't want to go beyond 33" tires,and don't want to do sye,etc.,unless totally necessary!any advice?

I have a Daystar 1" Body Lift. I have no issues with on-road handling. When I bought my jeep some idiot put a 3"body lift. I removed it and reduced it to 1". That should work with your tires. You can also change out your fender flares to give you a little more room. I also have a teraflex spacers that stiffens my ride. I didn't put them on the previous owner did. Good Luck!

I have a Daystar 1" Body Lift. I have no issues with on-road handling. When I bought my jeep some idiot put a 3"body lift. I removed it and reduced it to 1". That should work with your tires. You can also change out your fender flares to give you a little more room. I also have a teraflex spacers that stiffens my ride. I didn't put them on the previous owner did. Good Luck!

I also would recommend 1" BL and 33's; TJ's have more clearance than YJ's (a stock TJ will clear 31's, and 33's require only 1" more of clearance, as the other 1" goes to ground clearance). If you need more lift, you can also go with a budget boost and keep the stock coils.

so,if i am to understand these posts clearly,a 1" body lift will allow me to run 33" tires with no trouble?

Yes, it should... You can also get a budget boost, but I think that's more than 1" (I am a YJ guy, so I am not up to date in TJ suspensions, though).

i like where ya'lls heads are. so the good news is that i think i'll be getting a 2in lift. 33 wheels. i like the mental image thats puts up. not ubber, but a damn good improvement. hmm... and now for the shopping part...

I put a Magnaflow cat back on my '06 unlimited. Very happy with it.

Back