what lockers work the best????

JEEPCJXJ

i want to put lockers in my 1982 CJ 7 AMC 20 and DANA 30. what is the way to go??? also what are detroit lockers like(EZ Lockers), or any other form of locker???

i'm not sure on brands... but you can have a fulltime locker in the rear, but you will likely want a selectable locker for the front

time limit....

I had detroit lockers for years and loved them front and rear. The CJ-7 had ford 9" with detroits and 4:56 gears front and rear. Ran like a bull dozer but i never used it much in the rocks. If i had stock axles I would probably just do lock-rights. Easy to install if you dont change gears.

The lunchbox lockers that don't require changing the ring gear carrier are a good option, they just replace the stock spider gears. These are the LockRight, EZ Locker, Aussie, and PowerTrax NoSlip. A true Detroit Locker will replace the carrier and require that the gears be professionally setup. The true Detroit can be a handful on the road, causing unexpected lane changes when you let off the gas and the locker unlocks and unloads. The lunchbox lockers are a little more road friendly but aren't quite as bulletproof.

Don't worry about getting a selectable locker in the front (ARB, OX) since you have lockable hubs. The selectable lockers are very expensive and better suited to those who do not have lockouts and the front axleshafts spin all the time.

A rear locker is going to be hard on the rear axleshafts if you still have the 2-piece shafts, so consider installing the 1piece axleshafts at the same time.

I run Lincoln Lockers in the front and rear of my YJ, onroad and off, so that'd be my opinion on the best lockers. Well, best next to spools :twisted:

I wouldn't waste my money on a detroit locker for an AMC20. You will overload the housing before you start splitting the factory carrier, so a "lunchbox" locker is the perfect choice in the rear, to me. In the front, I'd go limited-slip. Just having a locker in the rear and a decent tire tread will make for a very capable 4wd. The CJ Dana30 starts to show it's weaknesses when combined with a locker, tires bigger than 33s, and any good amount of power. If you need a locker, the selectable lockers are nice in the front.....but regardless of locker type an upgrade to the shafts, steering joints, and hubs should be on your list of things to do.

I realize at this time the Detroit is not available for the aplication that your looking at but I wanted to give you this advice just in case it does come available before you make the change. What ever you do do not buy the Detroit Electract. The install sucks (mostly becuase of the instructions) and the Technical help is more than rude when you call for help. Basicly they dont want to talk to you unless your a professional rear end installer. And even then with this product being so new I guess people in the field should just be able to guess at setting it up right.

Back