What grade gas do you use?

My 2001 TJ gets the cheap stuff...85octane. Its 1:42$ a gallon here in Utah.
Since shes geared so low I cant afford to drive the good stuff.

I think the grades of fuel is different here in Canada. I live right next to the border (5 minute walk) and the highest grade of fuel I've found down there (Point Roberts, Washington) is 96, the highest I've found here is 98. The fuel in the U.S. is about 16 cents a litre cheaper too....I don't know what that works out to in gallons.

I have never bought anything but the cheap stuff in my life. The manual for my XJ (4.0) says that anything higher will provide no benefit.

And by the way, I went to an info night for a job interview for Amoco a couple years ago and they said that all brands are the same "except for Amoco Ultimate." So I buy the cheap station stuff all the time.

Well, I find that I get better mileage with ceartain brands and octanes. I recently tried the Walmart brand (Murray USA or whatever). and it picked up my gas mileage significantly.-al

Camo Jeeps, the next step in hunting and Jeeping....

the only engines that need high octane are high compression egines, or ones that run at a high temperature

nothin but good ol regular for my jeep. gas prices here are crazy high too. 79 cent a liter X 4 = 3.16 per gallon!!!!!! :shock: :shock: so stop complaining....lol

Junkpile said:
If you have a noticeable power difference when you run a higher octane, then you need to run the higher octane.

many engines will perform better with higher octane in them, gives you a longer burn, so more power. just because you see more power doesn't mean you need it necessarily... my ZJ gets better power on high octane, but still runs great on he cheap stuff.. Only time i use high octane is if i'm pulling a load or on a real long run.

For towing, I put in 92 and a can of Outlaw Octane booster. You wouldn't believe how well that makes the Vortec 5.7 run.

The octane booster that you buy in the autoparts store is a marketing scam really. When it says it raises the ocatane one point what it means is that it goes from 93.0 to 93.1 octane. This has been a big deal on the MR2 forum where we all have turbos and are looking for the highest octane possible.

Another thing worth noting is that if high octane gas isn't available or affordable, a good additive would be Tolulene. I think Tolulene is something like 120 or 130 Octane and can be found at your local paint store.

The 304 gets 12 gallons of premium(93) and 2 gallons of 110.

Just out of curiosity is the 110 leaded or unleaded. As far as I know the highest unleaded fuel available is 100 (I could be wrong). If it is leaded that is bad for your cats if you still have them and also not leagal for use on public roads.

As others have stated you only need the higheroctane if you are getting engine pinging/knock/detonation. Typically, this is more common in high compression and forced induction engines, though i see more and more new cars recommending 92 octane.

One question i have is what year did Jeep start installing knock sensors?

In my mr2 if you experience knock it will retard the timing so that it will still run safely. So you won't damage the motor by running the lower octane, but you will ruin your gas mileage and you will be down on power significantly.

Oh yeah, 87 in the Jeep @ $1.49/ gal (super cheap for California, I can't explain why, 4 months ago i was paying nearly $2.00/gal).

The MR2 gets the highest available, which in california is a wopping 91 octane @ $1.70/gal.

Another, option if the higher octane gas isn't available like here in california is water injection. It cools the charge air temperature, adds detonation prevention and steam cleans the cylinder walls.

Back