what do I need to know BEFORE installing a lift kit?

bigTlilODD

I'm saving up for a lift kit. I want a 4 inch lift, what do I need to know before I get one and install it. Like at four inches, do I need to move the transfer case or angle the axles a little, brake lines..... all that sorta stuff.[addsig]

longer driveshafts,perhaps gear ratio change,lower pitman arm,longer brake lines,ummm.......[addsig]

4" will make a big difference in handling so take it easy until you get a feel for the way it handles. You have to follow up with a nice set of tires to fill in the new void you have created so figure on a few more bucks for that.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

pretty much all my leaf spring bolts were a BITCH AND A HALF to get out... i actually had to get a sawzall and cut two of them out! make sure you have plenty of penetrating lubricant (heh not KY Jelly, i'm talkin' Liquid Wrench)...

i'm gonna finish my write up on my lift install and get it posted online shortly...[addsig]

LOL TUG! Yes, I've cleared it through my financial advisor. She said, "I advise you to not charge it!"

Cool thing is that my neighbor is a total driveway mechanic. He could damn near start his own shop! [addsig]

I put a 4" lift on my 95 yj and although it was some work...I really like the result. Some of the spring eye bolts and ubolts were REALLY hard to get loose even with generous spray of PB Blaster. Once you get ready to install spray all the bolts you plan to remove with PB blaster at least 24hours before you start then spray them again when you start. I did not get longer brake lines...although I should as they get pretty taught under heavy flex. I did lower my skidplate about 1 1/2" and that helped out driveline vibration. I got a skyjacker kit which was pretty complete and the back springs had shims to help out with angles...no measuring just bolt and go. The kit also came with the appropriate drop pitman arm and track bar brackets so that was just bolt and go as well. Air tools are very handy...helped me out alot! My lift took me a weekend to complete...of course that was doing all the work myself...a helper or two should make it go much faster. When you get it all done I would advise taking it to an alignment shop to get it all aligned and get all your steering linkages checked out to make sure you put them together right. Good luck![addsig]

OH YA! This is kinda imprtant. Can you guys give me a list of good websites to get a lift kit? Plus, what is an SOA? Does that mean you put the springs on top of the axel?[addsig]

Back