Weld up a amc 20

carriss

I want to weld up my rear end,

has anyone here welded up a amc 20, I don't have an axle puller so i was thinking that I could put the rear end on jack stands and weld one side and turn it over and weld the other side of the inturnal gear set (inside the diff case)

or am i going to have to pull the axles and the case and weld it that way....

hopefully someone can disifer what I'am saying......

Last edited:

You can weld the spiders in the jeep, pretty easy. I ran with the front and rear diffs welded on my YJ for years. Now I run spools.

can i weld them in the rear end or do I need to take my whole rear end apart, i figured that i did'nt have to take everything apart, the only gasket i would have the get would be the diff cover gasket.

You can weld them in the rearend, just use copius amounts of brake cleaner to get all the oil out. I'd recommend a 220 MIG to ensure good heat and penetration.

what about a stick/arc welder? amperge at least 90 right?

Last edited:
The diff cover bolts are all factory so they have'nt been broke loose in 28 years anyone have anything better than wd-40 to help break them loose? and on top of that they are the six point star * pattern...

I like PB blaster for loosening bolts. Way better than WD40. And by the way, those * head bolts are called torx.

PB BLaster and a breaker bar.

An arc welder will work, but the gears have to be very clean and you have to know what you're doing. Mine were initially arc welded, cracked, and rewelded with a 220mig. Held fine with the mig.

Full spool for the AMC20 is $180, didn't see a minispool offered.

What kind of amps on an arc welder... what kind stick do I need?

I found pb blaster at auto zone 4.29 a can...........

Would an impact wrench do any better or worse than a breaker bar?......... i'm thinking that it would probly strip it real quick ............... anyone tried that?

Who makes the strongest Trox bits?

What about taking a propane torch and heating it after a soaking of pb blaster and wiped clean then the breaker bar?

Or would that help the head of the bolt strip quicker?

How much experience do you have with an arc welder?

You may want to consider having an experienced welder weld the spider gears. Mine were initially done by an experienced welder with an arc welder and the welds cracked. Redone with a 220mig by someone else and they held up just fine. Not something you want to take a chance on.

I'm planning to replace the torx head bolt with grade 5 or 8 standard hex heads once i get the torx out..

my main focus it getting the old torx out...

I can can lay down a great bead.... But all I have right now is an arc welder.

Would an impact wrench do any better or worse than a breaker bar?......... i'm thinking that it would probly strip it real quick ............... anyone tried that?

Who makes the strongest Trox bits?

What about taking a propane torch and heating it after a soaking of pb blaster and wiped clean then the breaker bar?

Or would that help the head of the bolt strip quicker?

I would try the breaker bar first.

Craftsman makes some decent torx bits that won't break the bank. And if you break them they'll replace 'em for free.

I'd soak, heat, tap, soak, heat, tap, then try the breaker bar. Best thing you can do to prevent stripping is make sure the * is cleaned out the best you can and then tap the Torx bit in to seat it firmly in the bottom of the bolt.

I got all of mine out of an 83' a few years ago without losing a bolt. I re-used the torx along the bottom as they have round heads and aren't affected by rocks as much as the bolts were.

Back