Valve Stem Seal Question

Gold Member

Hey all
I have not long finished replacing my cam shaft and lifters due to excessive top end noise. The engine now sounds great. However, while I was bolting on the rockers I noticed that three of the valve stem seals had popped off and were just floating around on the valve stem.
As far as I know, my engine does not smoke or burn oil, so it's not causing any problems right now.
Anyway, I decided that I couldn't afford to fix the valve seal problem. Instead I just pushed the seals back in place for now.
For the first one hundred miles the engine sounded great, but then a strange knocking/rattling noise appeared at idle from the top end. I have heard this noise prior to the rebuild but guessed it was apart of the whole lifter gone bad problem.
My question is, could a valve stem seal or two popped off again and be causing this noise?

Thnx.

1999 TJ, 2.5 4 banger with 78k on the clock.

I doubt that the Valve stem seals are causing the Knocking/Rattle noise your hearing. have you since checked the torque on the rockers?, and what's the oil pressure like?

I did torque the rockers to spec but I haven't checked them since. The oil pressure looks pretty normal. Could it be piston slap? Although I have no idea what that sounds like.

My best description of a piston slap would be a Deep or low frequency knock as opposed to a lifter noise , i would call that a ticking noise. Valves would also cause a knocking noise depending on the severity of it's worn condition. . Fuel can also create a Spark Knock . Try to isolate the noise so we can narrow down the possibilties.

My best description of a piston slap would be a Deep or low frequency knock as opposed to a lifter noise , i would call that a ticking noise. Valves would also cause a knocking noise depending on the severity of it's worn condition. . Fuel can also create a Spark Knock . Try to isolate the noise so we can narrow down the possibilties.

Thanks Mikey. I'll have another listen when the weather is better (snowing right now).

Then you should be out wheelin' it!

You totally read my mind...here is a shot from 30mins ago...:)

Attachments

• snowwheelin.jpg
    snowwheelin.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 324
OH MAN, something is wrong with the ground and trees.... what is that white stuff all over the place? I had on shorts all day at work. Great weather to work on the subs in the wife's Mini van.

I do miss the snow from time to time.

im confused ! what is expensive about valve stem seals? do they need machining or something on that motor? I just replaced mine on a gm 350 for like $19.59. 4 hrs of work. i just looked up valve stem seals for tj. there $12.00??????

Last edited:
Back